Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5 3570K + Z77 for $269.99?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My local store is selling an i5 3570K and Z77 mobo as a package (along with a cooler, although I do not know what specific cooler it has; given the reliability of the store I would assume it is a pretty good cooler, not stock).

Is $289.99 a good deal for these parts? Keep in mind that this computer would be used for a lot of work stuff too, not just Dolphin (although I doubt the 3570K would have any problems running things if OC'ed).

EDIT: I already have all of the other parts (GPU, HDD, case, etc.)
You bet your ass it is! The 3570K is $229 on newegg.com by itself, Add a mobo to that ($80ish) and you increase the price to $310ish. And that's with a stock cooler. Also, the board they bundle with it might retail for much more than $80.

EDIT: The 3570K is really good for just about anything, i7 has performance gains in video and photo production, but you are getting a good deal....

By the way, Would your local shop happen to have a website that I could buy such a bundle from?
(07-15-2012, 02:48 PM)tirionfive Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, Would your local shop happen to have a website that I could buy such a bundle from?

Its Fry's Electronics (which is a chain but I believe their ads are region-specific, so it may or may not be available online).

You can try to see if they have it.
You mean this bundle?
http://www.frys.com/product/7221813?site...IN_RSLT_PG

If so, that's an amazing price!
GET IT!
That is it! Although apparently the guy in the store actually gave us a higher price than it actually costs... He was speaking from memory, so he probably just estimated high.

Can't see anything about a cooler now in the description (and I don't have one) so I would still have to look into that and whether I can afford to buy that, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.
The i5 comes with a stock cooler, but it isn't sufficient to Overclock it for dolphin. You can find a good cooler for around $26 dollars at newegg.com. check the forums, they are sharing links for coolers i think

You can atleast get it up and running though!

Also, Just checked that board that comes with this bundle. It's a $120 board!
Fry's Electronics has some pretty sweet deals. I've never personally bought anything from them, though I went to their store once and I see their ads all the time in the Chicago Tribune. I agree, jump on this as soon as possible. Even if the cooler turns out to be sub-par, the money the bundle saves you will more than cover for that if you need something better.
That is a much better deal than I expected. Now its just a matter of whether or not I can buy that... I know I want it now for sure, but since I don't do anything intensive other than run:

Dolphin
VirtualBox (Windows 8/7/XP, (X)ubuntu, etc.)
StarCraft II (which isn't that intense on the CPU really)

I have to decide if it's worth it. You sound like much more of a gamer than me, so you would probably want this, but I would only really want this if I started doing some serious application development for Windows and what-not.

Thanks for the tip on the coolers on Newegg, if I decide to get this I'll definitely check them out (after Frys of course).

EDIT: @Shonumi I always go to Frys for my non-Apple tech Tongue
This will do everything you throw at it. The 2500K (2nd gen) and the 3570K(3rd gen) are the go-to chips for EVERYTHING. The only thing you can get better than this is a i7 3770(K or S or T) and for video games, the 3770 isn't any better(yet), it's main use is for Graphics processing. Most applications and games can't utilize the full power of the i7. so at the time being, it's a waste for dolphin or any other game. This is the processor every gamer should have. As for virtualization, the i5 3570K will do everything you need. It's overly qualified.

EDIT: @Shonumi, I am planning to purchase this package on their site in the next 10 min, I guess they will ship it to wherever. If you know someone who needs it, or if you need it, JUMP ON IT!
If I got this I would want 32 GB of RAM to go with it, and that would mean 4x8GB cards (which cost a lot of money). It would also probably end up becoming a server, which is a real bummer since it would mean I probably wouldn't be playing any Dolphin on it -_-
Pages: 1 2