Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Galaxy sound and performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

pining

Well hello,

So I've been searching for quite a while now how to get the background music working on super mario galaxy, and it seems that every thread I find points towards running the audio on DSP LLE.

Now playing the game on HLE runs the game fine at 55-60 FPS (and I think at 100%) but obviously without background music (which I know is known). But then when I try and play it using LLE the game runs at around 45-50 FPS and thus has a bit of a slow down and it also has lots of audio stuttering (which I see other people have too)

So I was wondering if there was any way to be able to run it better with the awesome background music :p

Here are my specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
Processor/CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB RAM
Memory/RAM: 4096 MB RAM
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 3.0-235-dirty

Also a side note; changing the resolution of the game has no effect on the performance at all. which I find kind of weird myself maybe someone has an answer to this as well ? :o

Thanks in advance ghehe,

Pining~
(07-15-2012, 04:58 AM)pining Wrote: [ -> ]So I was wondering if there was any way to be able to run it better with the awesome background music :p

Not with your processor, no.

(07-15-2012, 04:58 AM)pining Wrote: [ -> ]Also a side note; changing the resolution of the game has no effect on the performance at all. which I find kind of weird myself maybe someone has an answer to this as well ? :o

That means your video card is good enough to handle it. Your processor is your bottleneck.

pining

Is overclocking my CPU an option ? or is this processor really not good enough :o

I've replaced the stock cooler so I guess there's a possibility of overclocking it right ?

Thanks for replying so fast :p

Pining~
Try to check "Accurate VBeam Emulation". To do this, right click on your game and select "Properties".

Like SS said, your CPU is not able to handle LLE properly, SMG 1/2 needs an Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz/i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz to run @ fullspeed. Overclock your AMD Phenom to 4GHz or more. This should help a little bit but this can't solve this performance problem Wink

pining

Woah thanks for the super fast reply, I'll give overclocking a shot. I guess if that won't work I should consider upgrading my cpu in the future ghehe

thanks again Big Grin,

Pining~

edit: as for "Accurate VBeam Emulation" it only sped up the music (with odd quality) and played with my fps a bit so I'll just focus on overclocking ghehe

mrdj

(07-15-2012, 05:13 AM)pining Wrote: [ -> ]Woah thanks for the super fast reply, I'll give overclocking a shot. I guess if that won't work I should consider upgrading my cpu in the future ghehe

thanks again Big Grin,

Pining~

edit: as for "Accurate VBeam Emulation" it only sped up the music (with odd quality) and played with my fps a bit so I'll just focus on overclocking ghehe

Try disable lightning, fog and per-pixel depth in the "hacks" meny under Graphic settings Smile it should help alot if you don't already made this adjusments! I geat nearly perfect speed everywhere in the game whith this settings, still using the audio on DSP LLE. Give it a try! Big Grin
(07-15-2012, 10:35 AM)mrdj Wrote: [ -> ]Try disable lightning, fog

All those options do is make the game not look how it was meant to. If you use those options and claim that you got better speeds with them disabled, you don't know what you're doing.

Lioncash

(07-15-2012, 05:08 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]SMG 1/2 needs an Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz/i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz to run @ fullspeed.

Not necessarily, it runs fine on a Phenom II X4 B55 (which is an unlocked X2 B55) clocked at 3.2GHz for me. Though it running fine can possibly be partially due to other hardware I have alongside it.

(07-15-2012, 03:53 PM)Lioncash Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-15-2012, 05:08 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]SMG 1/2 needs an Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz/i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz to run @ fullspeed.

Not necessarily, it runs fine on a Phenom II X4 B55 (which is an unlocked X2 B55) clocked at 3.2GHz for me. Though it running fine can possibly be due to other hardware I have.

DefenderX was talking specifically about LLE with SMG 1/2. If you enable LLE audio, Lioncash, I doubt you'll find your Phenom can handle it with consistent frame rates at or near fullspeed.
This is exactly what I mean Wink Just try this two games with LLE and you'll see, your Phenom II X4 can't handle it.
Pages: 1 2