Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dell XPS 15 - L502X
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys! I've been searching about XPS 15 in this forum. Found just one thread and wasn't that conclusive... So, I made this to help me out Smile

I have a Dell XPS 15, model L502X with those specs:

RAM: 6GB, DDR3, 2 DIMM, 1333MHz. Soon I will upgrade it to 8GB.

GT525M 1GB, overclocked without problems to GT540M. They both have the same GPU. The difference between them is the clocks, and that's what I overclocked (duh Tongue)

i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz

1080p screen

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1

Bluetooth working... (EDIT: I can play with Real Wii Remotes and Nunchucks)

I have a Wii. I want to play all kinds of games, cause I have almost 80 games from Wii and 10 from GameCube and wanted do play them in my notebook. Maybe in 1080p with some antialiasing... I don't really know, cause I've been trying to play Mario Kart Wii in Dolphin 3.0-720 64-Bit and it always runs astatically, with the default settings. I don't know Dolphin very well and I'm starting with him right now. It's normal to Mario Kart Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns runs slowly (kinda 30fps while the normal in Wii is 60) in a XPS 15? Maybe if I take a 32 bit Dolphin it runs slightly better?

Thank you guys! And sorry for the bad english at all.
Quote:Maybe in 1080p with some antialiasing...

Your GPU is only able to handle 720p (2x IR).

Quote:It's normal to Mario Kart Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns runs slowly (kinda 30fps while the normal in Wii is 60) in a XPS 15?

30 FPS is not normal. I guess, some settings are false. Anyway, try this:

1st - Use the official Dolphin 3.0 release and this settings -> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=23618
2nd - Check your temperatures with CoreTemp/RealTemp while playing with Dolphin. Maybe your notebook is overheating
3rd - You could try ICC optimized Dolphin Builds.

Quote:Maybe if I take a 32 bit Dolphin it runs slightly better?

Don't do this. 64-Bit versions of Dolphin are a little bist faster than 32-Bit versions.

I put these settings that you gave me. Running Donkey Kong Country Returns with EVGA Precision to see the temperature.
http://i.imgur.com/5y6Nm.jpg

Overclocking this graphics card is very easy. The temperature go to 78ºC playing games like Battlefield 3 in medium and GTA IV in high... 90ºC is the temperature that I have to care about and 100ºC is when the thing stops working, but never comes to this.

Donkey Kong now runs at ~45fps, but very instable... Is possible to see some cruel instability playing. Sometimes it goes down to 3fps during 3secs, almost crashing, and gets back to 45fps. It is normal? There is no way of playing this in 60fps? I don't know... Lowering the settings in dolphin or something like that?

Thanks man
Overclocking the GPU won't improve the performance when you play with Dolphin btw.

Quote:There is no way of playing this in 60fps?

Not with your CPU, sorry. I've got the same CPU like you and I'm not able to play this game @ fullspeed too.
Ouch ):

Which games can I play in full speed? If there is any
Fullspeed is actually in very few games possible with that CPU, but most games ARE playable. You don't need 60FPS to play a game properly, 40-50FPS are enough Wink The game will run fluently.
And what about GameCube games? It's more easy to play or it's almost the same kind of problem?

I have a Wii, and that's why playing in 73% speed is so weird Sad, but I think I will familiarize with that...
(07-14-2012, 08:03 PM)LeonardoWii Wrote: [ -> ]And what about GameCube games? It's more easy to play or it's almost the same kind of problem?

GameCube games will run a little bit better, but not all of them, e.g. F-Zero GX or TLoZ: Twilight Princess.
Thanks for everything man! My questions are solved.

Dolphin is a strange and incredible thing... I was insastified because of Donkey Kong and then... I went to try Rock Band 3, without any expectations. And it runs 100% better. A music game that runs perfectly. I am in shock!

Thanks again man!
Well, some games are more demanding than others. That's emulation my friend Cool

Quote:Thanks again man!

no problem Wink