Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin slowing down every 10 seconds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, im new to this forum, i wanna congratulate you guys for this awesome work, since my gamecube is nowdays a big pile of junk (broken), and i can play games again.

i just started to play, my first impression was that my computer could run this emulator without any problems (i can play crysis 2 at very high specs without any kind of slowdown) and even the PCSX2 without any kind of lags or things like that, so i tried this emulator with mario sunshine NTSC version. it started to run at 60 fps for i'd say 5 min without lag, but then, it starts to drop at 20 fps every 10 seconds. and it happens everytime i start dolphin, i mean, for 5 min ok, then slowdowns.

my specs: windows 7 home premium 64 bits, 6gb RAM ddr3, nvidia geforce gt 525m 1gb, intel core i7 at 2.2 ghz low power 3 ghz full power i think Tongue.

I even installed gamebooster in order to kill some background processes, and i get the same issue.

thanks
Sounds like an overheating issue. Pls check your temps with CoreTemp or Realtemp while playing with Dolphin.
(07-13-2012, 11:13 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like an overheating issue. Pls check your temps with CoreTemp or Realtemp while playing with Dolphin.

Yes, seems that is the problem, the average temp of each core while playing dolphin is at 98 centigrees, and thats a lot i think, when it reaches that temp, the frecuency drops a lot at 700Mhz, then it goes up again, , but the fan is working ok, and the vent slots are also ok, pherhaps its a factory defect? or a controller or something like that?

thanks
I guess, you use a normal notebook and no gaming notebook, right? Yeah, most normal notebooks overheat when you play with Dolphin, that's a common problem.

btw: 98 degree is VERY hot, almost enough to boil water Big Grin If you don't want to damage your notebook stop playing with Dolphin, unless you replace the fans with stronger ones and replace the OEM thermal compound with a aftermarket thermal compound (e.g. Arctic Cooling MX-4)

(07-14-2012, 12:00 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]I guess, you use a normal notebook and no gaming notebook, right? Yeah, most normal notebooks overheat when you play with Dolphin, that's a common problem.

btw: 98 degree is VERY hot, almost enough to boil water Big Grin If you don't want to damage your notebook stop playing with Dolphin, unless you replace the fans with stronger ones and replace the OEM thermal compound with a aftermarket thermal compound (e.g. Arctic Cooling MX-4)

well, i thought that a notebook with a geforce of 1gb and all that ram was a gaming computer :/, and i also saw my same processor installed on an alienware, i dont know, i think i call to technical support service, i dont find it normal either.

thanks for all your help
But it's really normal.

A gaming notebook, like the Asus G55VW, has a special thermal system which is really powerful. Your system seems to be not enough for Dolphin as you don't own a gaming notebook but rather a normal notebook/multimedia notebook.
(07-14-2012, 12:23 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]But it's really normal.

A gaming notebook, like the Asus G55VW, has a special thermal system which is really powerful. Your system seems to be not enough for Dolphin as you don't own a gaming notebook but rather a normal notebook/multimedia notebook.

ok Sad, thanks, so you say it isnt the hardware, but the laptop's case which isn't for handling high temperatures, what cooling systems do you recommend me?? since i like games and atm this emulator was my first encounter with overheating problems due to gaming Undecided
Dolphin is a very demanding emulator Wink

Quote:what cooling systems do you recommend me??

If don't want to buy a whole gaming notebook, i recommend this:

Quote:If you don't want to damage your notebook stop playing with Dolphin, unless you replace the fans with stronger ones and replace the OEM thermal compound with a aftermarket thermal compound (e.g. Arctic Cooling MX-4)

If you aren't able to do this, assign a computer expert.
(07-14-2012, 12:45 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is a very demanding emulator Wink

Quote:what cooling systems do you recommend me??

If don't want to buy a whole gaming notebook, i recommend this:

Quote:If you don't want to damage your notebook stop playing with Dolphin, unless you replace the fans with stronger ones and replace the OEM thermal compound with a aftermarket thermal compound (e.g. Arctic Cooling MX-4)

If you aren't able to do this, assign a computer expert.

Hello, im very happy cause i solved my problem, i don't know which of those was, but i did the following:

- i uninstalled my geforce driver which came from factory, downloaded it again from nvidia and reinstalled.
-then i went to power settings and limited the processor's energy at a just 94%, now it doesnt warm at 98 c, just at 68-70, and i've been playing for like 20 min without any problem,

as i said, idk which of those was, but it worked
The driver update may have included better GPU management, meaning less power used, so the GPU may have put less heat into the system.

The reduction in processor 'energy' would have decreased the heat it put out, and may have been just enough to stop it overheating the system faster than the cooler could handle.

Basically, they both may have helped.