Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: LLE on thread makes Twilight Princess (GC) crash. Any solution?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I overclocked my system and I can play Zelda TP to 100% speed (most of the time), but only with LLE On Thread enabled. The problem is, with this setting, the game crashes within a few minutes of gameplay (FPS and percentage drops, sounds stops but the last noise keeps repeating). Is there any solution for this?

I'm using the latest version (717), and my system is the following:
CPU: Q9550 (3.5Ghz)
GPU: HD4870
Ram: 4Gb

The game works well with HLE but the music has missing instruments and this bothers me a lot. With LLE the music is ok, but it slows down a bit on complex areas and the sound stutters, but it never crashes. With LLE on thread it runs much faster but it always hangs, like I said before.
What are all of your Dolphin settings? Have you noticed LLE on Thread crashing on other games? This might be of no help at all, but I seem to get the best results with LLE audio and LLE on thread by setting Framelimit to Audio and unchecking the Limit by FPS box.

As a sort of stop-gap solution, you could disable LLE on Thread, but try LLE audio using the VBeam trick. It will still slow down visually, but there's a good chance your audio won't stutter anymore.
(07-13-2012, 08:59 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]What are all of your Dolphin settings? Have you noticed LLE on Thread crashing on other games? This might be of no help at all, but I seem to get the best results with LLE audio and LLE on thread by setting Framelimit to Audio and unchecking the Limit by FPS box.

As a sort of stop-gap solution, you could disable LLE on Thread, but try LLE audio using the VBeam trick. It will still slow down visually, but there's a good chance your audio won't stutter anymore.

Thank you. As far as I know, it doesn't crash on other games, for example Pikmin. If I enable Accurate Vbeam Emulation, the game runs at what seems to be slow motion but the music does play fine. Of course it's not playable like that. Is there maybe another setting other than disabling idle skipping and enabling accurate vbeam? Also, when in slow motion, if I press tab to disable framelimit, it goes to over 200% but the audio gets messed up.

And yes, I tried limiting FPS to audio but it make no difference. My settings are completely default as I noticed changing anything makes no difference anyway.

Anyway, the game runs like this (inside ordon village):
HLE: Constant 100%, missing instruments in music
LLE + on thread: stable 100%, sometimes it drops a bit (95%). Sound is pretty much perfect. Hangs after a minute or so in game.
LLE: 90-95% (sound is choppy). Constant 100% in smaller areas (starting area, spring area). Doesn't crash.
LLE + Vbeam + Idle skipping disabled: 100% but slow motion graphics.
Another long shot, but try LLE + LLE on thread + Lock threads to cores
Well, for the VBeam trick, it's not always necessary to disable Idle Skipping in order for it to work. In all of my cases, enabling Accurate VBeam emulation alone is enough to get stutter-less audio with LLE. Again, it's not going to solve your problem with LLE on Thread, but it might make the slo-mo graphics a bit better. Try skid's suggestion, I think I remember reading about someone trying it before.
You can't run LLE with this game on your system. You just think you can because you started playing. Wait till you open up a lot of hyrule field it will slow down then. I just tried it with i5 and its around 70% with LLE on thread.
Vbeam trick also doesn't work because indeed for some reason vbeam halves fps in this game. I never seen this problem in any other game.
Yeah, apparently there is no solution to this problem. Lock threads to cores doesn't fix the hanging, and yes, LLE makes the game run pretty slow in Hirule Field but other than that it runs ok in pretty much every area.

Anyway, I think the game hanging with "LLE on thread" is a bug in the emulator.

Thanks anyway, guess I'll just replay Majora's Mask instead.

Update:

I tried the same thing on the Dolphin Hacked version for Xenoblade Chronicles I got from this forum, I have noticed that in that version of the emulator it lasts much longer before crashing, and I also get slightly better performance in general with this game for whatever reason.

I think this issue might be worth investigating. I'm not an expert on programming or anything like that, but it doesn't look like something very hard to fix.
The hanging happens because exception timing with LLE on thread is too imprecise for the Zelda UCode. It's a known bug and there is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.
by you, he means the user

the developers can still fix this eventually.