Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I need help overclocking AMD FX-4100 cpu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core @ 3.6GHz

I need some help overclocking this cpu, I've been in the bios and tried multiple suggestions from other people with no luck. I have unlocked it by pressing ctrl 1, went to advanced settings, selected enable under unlock and tried to change the multiplier (by .5) but it reverts back to auto. I have tried rebooting and trying again but nothing works. I know this CPU has been overclocked with ease, I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to change something else? Thanks.
What motherboard do you have? What air cooler are you using?
(07-12-2012, 08:16 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]What motherboard do you have? What air cooler are you using?

Mainboard: Gigabyte (M68MT -S2)
chipset: Nvidia Geforce 7025
Southbridge: Nvidia nforce 630a

Cooling: Stock

I'm getting good temperatures on the CPU, I mainly want to get it overclocked to 4GHz. I will be ordering a better cooler (hopefully liquid cooling) sometime next week.
We recommend not OCing until it arrives and is installed, otherwise you may fry the CPU. This isn't worth the boost you'll get. Just get the new cooler.
Upgrade BIOS and try again if it doesn't work, You probably dont have a Black Edition processor(check your CPU box) this is why you have the stock cooler, because only the Black Edition processors have unlocked multipliers therefore don't come with stock coolers.(correct me on this one, I'm not sure because this was the case with the old Athlons X2's ...)
All AMD FX cpus have an unlocked multiplier. And black edition cpus do come with a stock cooler these days.
(07-13-2012, 03:11 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]All AMD FX cpus have an unlocked multiplier. And black edition cpus do come with a stock cooler these days.

AMD is desperate now, huh?
(07-13-2012, 06:15 AM)mAMV Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2012, 03:11 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]All AMD FX cpus have an unlocked multiplier. And black edition cpus do come with a stock cooler these days.

AMD is desperate now, huh?

They were selling 960Ts not too long ago.
You know, the 6-cores with 2 disabled?
For $130.

And now they're selling FX-6100's for the same price at some stores.
Genuine 6-cores.

Sounds like a desperate move to me.
I'm just cross that they've cheated some friends of mine out of some money. They've both got a more expensive CPU than me, which is slightly worse in hex core optimised applications, significantly worse in quad core optimised ones, and are more or less useless in dual core applications.
(07-13-2012, 06:34 AM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]They were selling 960Ts not too long ago.
You know, the 6-cores with 2 disabled?
For $130.

And now they're selling FX-6100's for the same price at some stores.
Genuine 6-cores.

Sounds like a desperate move to me.

The 960T's are a great value for only $130. Damn. Well I do believe AMD should give up on the desktop market and focus more on the HTPC and netbook market. Intel is at least 2 generations ahead of AMD.
Pages: 1 2 3