Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Remove BGmusic? Swap BGmusic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I was wanting to know how if it's possible to remove the background music in GC and Wii games, or perhaps swap out the music files with new ones.

I wanna keep the sound effects going, but I want the background music gone. Thanks.
Quote:or perhaps swap out the music files with new ones.

Yeah, that's easy. You can use the tool called WiiScrubber.
Do you know of a tutorial that shows you how to input new tracks via Wiiscrubber? I wasn't able to locate one.
Some games can't have BGM changed... There are 2 types of BGM in the GC/Wii: the streamed music (where the games uses stream files, like MP3/WAV formats, but encoded in specific GC/Wii format) can be easily changed throug WiiScrubber or GCRebuilder. Change the log level on Dolphin Log configuration to "Warning" and you can locate the stream files that you'll replace through the "FileMon" messages in the log window.

The second music is sequenced music (that is impossible to replace in various games) This format is like a MIDI file, but in specific GC/Wii format. It works by giving to GC a set of "instruments" (trough a Sample databases included with the game) and another file with the "partitures" that DSP chip will play.

To discover if a game uses streamed or sequenced music, you can use DSP HLE and set framelimiter to low values (like 20/30 FPS for games that run at 60FPS or 10/15 for games that run at 30FPS). If the background music starts to play slowly, like the game, it's sequenced (you probably never change musics like this). If the background music still plays normally (even with game slowed down) then it's streamed and you can easily change them by discovering the right file to replace using the Dolphin's log.

Examples of games that use streamed music: Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl, Paper Mario, Bomberman Generation/Jetters, Zelda Skyward Sword, etc.
Examples of games that use sequenced music: Zelda Wind Waker/Twilight Princess/Four Swords Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, etc.