Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How does using custom textures affect performance? GPU or CPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am *this close* to taking the plunge and redoing the textures for a game, but I am wondering: how does utilizing custom textures affect the emulator's performance? Does it tax the GPU more? Or does the CPU get tapped more as well? I ask because I'm tempted to go pretty high res with my textures, but I don't want to do that if it'll make the game unplayable on current CPUs.

Anyone know?
more video memory is consumed
(07-11-2012, 03:23 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]more video memory is consumed
Would that mean no impact to the CPU?
It's also likely that using custom textures increases stuttering when loading textures because Dolphin's custom texture loading algorithm is kinda crap. That shouldn't be an issue once all textures for a scene have been loaded.
(07-11-2012, 05:38 PM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]It's also likely that using custom textures increases stuttering when loading textures because Dolphin's custom texture loading algorithm is kinda crap. That shouldn't be an issue once all textures for a scene have been loaded.
Interesting... could that be mitigated by using a faster hard drive or flash memory?
Err... actually not.

You won't see much difference.