Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: new (better) video card gets worse fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so before i was playing super smash bros on dolphin SV R 3402 and getting around 40-45 fps on a 1v1 battle on "final destination" map..because u get the best fps in that map. and i decided to upgrade my video card recently

i went from a radeon x1050 pro 128mb
to
saphire HD 2400 512mb ddr2

and i got many games (actual pc games) to run much faster and look much better. i have installed the latest drivers and i tried to run the same map with the same people to see how much better the fps was...and it actually was WORSE. i got 35-40fps this time.

HOWEVER: the game looked much better, maybe it was because of the pixel shaders being better or something but the textures looked smoother and more like a gamecube graphics. before i couldnt get the start up video to work with the x1050 but it worked with the HD2400. I checked the gfx settings to see if anything caused the slowdown and everything was EXACTLY the same.

So whats the problem? i dont care if it looks worse but better fps...if someone can help that would be great. my computer is virus, malware, and adware free. it might sound that 35-40fps sounds good but on other stages and stuff with more people it gets more in the high 20's or worse.

System specs:
Windows xp professional
intel pentium dual core 2.8ghz
1gb RAM
Saphire radeon HD 2400 512mb DDR2

help?
is the build different?
(07-04-2009, 10:30 AM)brood the killer Wrote: [ -> ]i have installed the latest drivers

Could this be a problem with the Catalyst 9.4 (or newer) drivers? There is a memory leak with Dolphin when using Catalyst 9.4 or higher and I've noticed when I'm reaching the threshold of 4 gigabytes with the leak the game gets significantly slower. I have 4GB of RAM so for my RAM to run out it takes a lot longer. But you only have 1GB of RAM, so running out of memory for you could happen a lot faster.

Try downgrading to Catalyst 9.3 and see if it fixed.