Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: alternate 3d modes - checkerboard or sidebyside
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Feature Request

I have messed around with 3d a little. I have seen the vision setup and I have used it with the vision discover (red/blue glasses). most people dont have 120 Hz monitor, mostly because you can get a bigger and cheaper 120 Hz Tv these days. What they don't tell you though is to do 3d on these TVs it has to be in checkerboard, sidebyside, or overunder format. It also has the benifit that AMD users could also get some 3D lovin.
The guy who added 3D vision support turned up, wrote the code, and occasionally does something to make it more suitable for his needs. If you want different 3D options, I'm afraid you'll have to learn how they work, and implement them yourself, or find someone who knows how they work and get them to do it. The official development team's main aims are to improve accuracy, but they'll do what they find interesting. Pitch it to them right, and one of them may take it on as a side project, which may go nowhere, do it wrong, and they'll ignore you, as it's their own free time they're giving away.
using side by side or checkerboard mode would actually make your games look worse (think of looking at a 480p video but on a 1080p screen where it looks blurry on the horizontal axis ((( hard to explain really)))

currently the 3d patch using framepacking which allowes dolphin to produce either (with nvidia 3dtv play on passive tvs) a full 720p image or a full 1080p image, where as side by side will give you a 1920x540p image, and to counteract the loss in quality you need ot raise all the internal display specs and use alot of AA
I've never seen sidebyside framepacking behave that way. 1080p in sidebyside mode should be 3840 x 1080 and 720p in sidebyside should be 2560 x 720. In overunder mode 1080p frame dimensions would be 1920 x 2160 and 720p would be 1280 x 1440. In checkerboard mode however the vertical resolution does get cut in half.

3Dvision does not use framepacking it uses alternating frames. 3Dtv play on the other hand does use framepacking.
I dragged my Nvidia machine into the living room and hooked it up. Its using the 3DTV play method. I have Zelda here set for 1080p @ 30 FPS and it will work set to 60 FPS but its to fast. Its probably only displaying at 24 fps but its not noticable.
[Image: 2012-07-07_17-34-18_791.jpg]

The 1080p sidebyside method is just 2 1080p images with a black bar between them. The TV knows how to align and alternate the images.

tronic307

Wow guys, I was just thinking about this topic! I use side-by-side 3D via iZ3d all the time at 720p (1080p has too much slowdown), 640x720 to each eye, and that still looks higher rez than the Wii, at least vertically. I want native SBS 3D and I believe others do too; plenty of 3D Dolphin vids on Youtube. Yes, the emulator is not 100% accurate yet, so why embellish it, but what emulator is? We had anaglyph long ago, so SBS 3D should be a breeze to implement. Tridef doesn't work on Dolphin, and iZ3d is just about kaput and can't be used on faster 64-bit builds anyway, so let's get this done. I'm not asking for frame-packing here! 3DVision is awesome, but I use AMD.
Quote:I have Zelda here set for 1080p @ 30 FPS and it will work set to 60 FPS but its to fast.

Well yeah......skyward sword is a 30 fps game.

Quote:Its probably only displaying at 24 fps but its not noticable.

Why would it do that?
(07-09-2012, 08:00 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I have Zelda here set for 1080p @ 30 FPS and it will work set to 60 FPS but its to fast.

Well yeah......skyward sword is a 30 fps game.

Quote:Its probably only displaying at 24 fps but its not noticable.

Why would it do that?

3d vision on passive tvs only supports 24hz in 1080 mode without EDID hacks (i think nvidia has "fixed" this now as i cant get it to work at 1080px60hz anymore with my EDID hack)

(07-08-2012, 09:48 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen sidebyside framepacking behave that way. 1080p in sidebyside mode should be 3840 x 1080 and 720p in sidebyside should be 2560 x 720. In overunder mode 1080p frame dimensions would be 1920 x 2160 and 720p would be 1280 x 1440. In checkerboard mode however the vertical resolution does get cut in half.

3Dvision does not use framepacking it uses alternating frames. 3Dtv play on the other hand does use framepacking.
you cant get side by side frame packing can you? as side by side by deffinition uses 2 full 1080p (1920x1080) screens and then packs the image into a 1920x720 frame then displays both this at once, so running side by side on a passive TV you get a 1920x360P image due to interlacing, this is based on films on the internet you _can't_ get anywhere, nvidia doesnt use side by side becuase it requires user input as they stated.

tronic307

Does anyone know if the 3DVision setting works with Nvidia 3DTV Play? I can get iz3d to work in AMD HD3D framepacked mode by ticking the 3DVision box. The trouble is, you cant play it because your controller won't work. A WiiMote will work, because it's bluetooth, but the keyboard won't work, so you can't escape to the desktop. TriDef says something about Dolphin's fullscreen mode not being true fullscreen, and refuses to run in 3D. It would be so awesome if Dolphin didn't need special drivers for 3D.
(07-28-2012, 05:12 AM)tronic307 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if the 3DVision setting works with Nvidia 3DTV Play? I can get iz3d to work in AMD HD3D framepacked mode by ticking the 3DVision box. The trouble is, you cant play it because your controller won't work. A WiiMote will work, because it's bluetooth, but the keyboard won't work, so you can't escape to the desktop. TriDef says something about Dolphin's fullscreen mode not being true fullscreen, and refuses to run in 3D. It would be so awesome if Dolphin didn't need special drivers for 3D.

dolphin will work with 3dtv play its what i use, but only with DX9 and its unstable, you have to enter full screen mode(with thetick box enabled) before the game starts otherwise it will revert to a 640x480p image and not be 3d at all, someone needs to work on it for use with DX11 plugin, but it seems only one person works on the GFX backend
Pages: 1 2