Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Looking for a new video card, suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a i5 2500k (though I haven't overclocked it), so I am not looking to gain FPS from this video card.

I am looking to replace my 4850 though. I just wanted to come here because these forums have some smart people on them for hardware, and I don't want to make a mistake with my purchase.

I did have some questions though, a new video card should let me increase AA, right? What about resolution, or is that CPU related.

Anyway, back to the topic, I've been pointed towards AMD 6870 or the nVidia 560ti. Is that right? Any suggestions??

Thank you!!
Both are a good choice. Both cards are quite similar. Go for 6870. Mine really does the job and I'm gonna keep it for my future build Smile
In theroy the 6870 should be faster, but according to some beanchmarks the 560ti is (note these are PC beanchmarks)

http://www.hwcompare.com/8890/geforce-gt...n-hd-6870/
Both are great cards. The 6870 is definitely the best bang for the buck.
The 560Ti is slightly faster than the 6870 though, so if you play PC games and the like, get the 560Ti.
Otherwise, if you're only in emulation etc, get the 6870.

Quote:I did have some questions though, a new video card should let me increase AA, right? What about resolution, or is that CPU related.
No, your GPU handles these. With either of those cards, you'll be able to set your IR to x4, and have some AA at times.
Do note that enabling AA will eat your FPS by a lot, depending on the game of course.

You should look into OC'ing that CPU. It's really easy and gains you free FPS.
(07-01-2012, 10:05 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Both are great cards. The 6870 is definitely the best bang for the buck.
The 560Ti is slightly faster than the 6870 though, so if you play PC games and the like, get the 560Ti.
Otherwise, if you're only in emulation etc, get the 6870.

Quote:I did have some questions though, a new video card should let me increase AA, right? What about resolution, or is that CPU related.
No, your GPU handles these. With either of those cards, you'll be able to set your IR to x4, and have some AA at times.
Do note that enabling AA will eat your FPS by a lot, depending on the game of course.

You should look into OC'ing that CPU. It's really easy and gains you free FPS.

4x IR? Right now, going anywhere over the default resolution ruins the FPS. Is there a noticeable increase in quality like that? Will my Twilight Princess look awesomer? (That game blows me away, both in graphics and in structure. I don't know how its rating is, but I bet it's underrated.)
By default resolution, are you referring to the x1 native resolution? Or is it on auto?
You should be able to run TP at around x2 or x3 IR, that's what your current GPU can handle.
Yeah, there will be a nice quality improvement as the game will be less pixelated.
Where (in the game) are you having FPS issues?
(07-01-2012, 10:27 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]By default resolution, are you referring to the x1 native resolution? Or is it on auto?
You should be able to run TP at around x2 or x3 IR, that's what your current GPU can handle.
Yeah, there will be a nice quality improvement as the game will be less pixelated.
Where (in the game) are you having FPS issues?

Well I changed it from Auto to x1 Native. On Auto, once I made games Full Screen, they'd begin slowing down and having Audio Issues. My resolution is 1680x1050

And I don't have FPS Issues in Twilight Princess, though I just started and there was that giant topic on here about Hyrule Field slowdowns, it kind of scares me.
Try setting it to x2 and see if it drops.
I'd suggest turning on hotkeys in the Graphical settings. That way you can toggle between IRs ingame by pressing 3 I think. (not on numpad)
Yeah, but you shouldn't have problems on Hyrule Field with your setup, especially if you OC.
(07-01-2012, 10:43 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Try setting it to x2 and see if it drops.
I'd suggest turning on hotkeys in the Graphical settings. That way you can toggle between IRs ingame by pressing 3 I think. (not on numpad)
Yeah, but you shouldn't have problems on Hyrule Field with your setup, especially if you OC.

Do you think I need to mess with voltage timers and junk? I bought it unlocked so I could just move that one number in the BIOS and stuff.
First of all, update your specs in your profile.
What motherboard do you have?

If you want to OC properly, you'll have to change some settings in the BIOS first.
Then once you've done that, simply set your voltages to 1.15v or so, and put up the multiplier to 40x or so.
Boot up, check temps, stress test. Does it work fine? Want more MHz?
Reboot, get in the BIOS put your multiplier to 45x or so.
Now when you reboot you will (most likely) not be able to boot.
It'll either get stuck at loading Windows, or if you DO get into Windows, you'll get a BSOD with a 0x000000124 message or so.
That means you'll have to raise up the voltages a bit.
I recommend you raise your voltage incrementally, so from 1.15v, you go to 1.16v and so on until it works properly.

Do not exceed 1.4v. Try to stay below it.
Pages: 1 2 3