Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Gaming PC - i5 2500k or i5 3570k?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Making a Gaming Computer SPECIFICALLY, for emulation purposes. The Build I have right now doesn't give me full FPS in games like pikmin 2 or Resident evil, even with tweaks on most games in Dolphin.

Would this run most Wii and PS2 game I throw at it at max settings, or is it overkill? Also, which is the better processor listed for Dolphin? Any help would be appreciated. I'm making an order for these parts this weekend, so hopefully after I get some feedback, I should have it all this time next week.

Processor: i5 2500k sandybridge OR i5 3570k
Graphics Card: GTX 670
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 650
Ram: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 1.5tb Baracudda (should I really go for a SDD?)
Fan: cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
(would this be compatible with the processor and mobo I listed?)

and for comparison, this is the build I have right now.

Processor: i7 960 bloomfield 3.2 ghz
Graphics Card: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II
Motherboard: MSI X58 something?
(would have to check bios splash screen, it's been awhile)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 650
Ram: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 1.5tb Baracudda
Fab: cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Of course it will,you might need to overclock cpu for some games.
Its top of the line rig.
Now,as for your question which is better i5 2500k or i5 3570k,well ivy bridge is a little faster but its hotter and doesnt overclock as good as sandy ( or so I heard )
So I dont really know which one I would buy-both are great processors
212 is compatible with everything Smile
SSD is great,but you will see almost no diffeence in games and dolphin.
But its huge difference just working in windows,everything starts faster ( instantly ) more responsive,snapier
So i5 2500k then?

I've heard that the ivybridge architecture is actually very promising for future revisions and that one day dolphin may make use of three cores because of it, but that was only a rumor I read somewhere. Doesn't seem to be worth the trouble since I NEED to overclock it to get full FPS in certain games.

Also, is everything I posted compatible together? Would the fan I listed work, and provide a 4.0 GHz overclock without problems?

(06-29-2012, 09:10 AM)wingzrow Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard that the ivybridge architecture is actually very promising for future revisions and that one day dolphin may make use of three cores because of it, but that was only a rumor I read somewhere.

Was wrong XD
Ivy Bridge is pretty awesome; I've had great results with my 3570K. From my benchmarks it has a healthy boost over a 2500K with dolphin. Of course, that's not because of using more cores or any other such nonsense, it's because of ivy bridges better clock for clock performance and some better bandwidth here and there.

Quote:Now,as for your question which is better i5 2500k or i5 3570k,well ivy bridge is a little faster but its hotter and doesnt overclock as good as sandy ( or so I heard )
It's not that simple. While Ivy bridge may run hotter, it can also take heat far better than sandy bridges. At 80C a sandy is going to be sputtering and underclocking. Ivy can go up to a 100C before it even starts caring. So, really, the issue isn't that ivy bridges overclock worse, it's that they overclock differently. With sandy, it could handle just about any voltage you threw at it without minimal temperature change, but it had alot lower temperature clearance. To overclock a sandy, you just crank the voltage up to 11 (not literally 11 lol, figure of speech) and then see how far you can push the multipliers before it hits the heat cap, then you start fiddling from there. Ivy is different, voltages cause alot more heat, but it can do more with less voltage. So to overclock it near the magic 5ghz line, you have to slowly creep up the voltages and multipliers together. Which is more or less exactly like what you had to do before Sandy came out.

All in all, Ivy can push to the same general clock ranges as Sandy. Add in it's improved clock for clock performance, better bandwidth, and nicer features, a 3570K is better than a 2500K. Even if it's not that much lol. Just make sure that you have a GOOD FAN for either case, any overclock needs it, and ivy especially needs it.
If you're going to overclock the 2500K to 5GHz+, then definitely get the 2500K.
Otherwise, if you can afford it, get the 3570K as it will have a minor improvement over the 2500K.
The 3570K will gain around 5 to 10FPS more than the 2500K.

And yes, the 212+ will fit perfectly on the motherboard.
2500Ks very rarely reach 5ghz on air, same as Ivy's. Overall, Ivy bridges are usually around 100mhz less on average in maximum overclocks on air, and that 100mhz is recouped and then some by the improvements to the chip. Plus, it takes an expert overclocker and a golden chip to even it that high, and it isn't common. Most top out around 4.8ghz, from what I've seen on Overclockers.

As for overclocking on water? IVY. Ivy bridges loooove water.
I found with my I5 3570k that 4.3GHz is my sweet spot. Also running a newer revision of your CPU cooler, the hyper 212 evo.

Dual fan mounted on my hyper 212, running 4.3GHz on stock volts 1.18v that is, no off set w/e.

On 24 hours AIDA64 stress testing i get max temps of 77 degrees which is excellent for Ivys. Also Ivys have a tj max of 105 so make sure you're always at least 20 degrees below that tj max.

When i wanted to OC it higher it needed lots of volts. Even for a 100Mhz more i needed an offset voltage of +0.40 so i found myself just fine on stock volts.

Ivy has PCIe 3.0 so want you to throw in another 670 for multimonitoring purposes you're gonna get significant better performance vs Sandy (pcie 2.X)

Also some updated benefits along with a VERY low TDP. z77 chipset you will adore especially ASUS their boards.

good luck with your build
Quote:I've heard that the ivybridge architecture is actually very promising for future revisions and that one day dolphin may make use of three cores because of it, but that was only a rumor I read somewhere.

Dolphin already uses three cores with LLE on thread. And that has nothing to do with a cpus microarchitecture.

chill

If you oc lover then pick sandy bridge. If not pick ivy bridge it's owesome. thx
Pages: 1 2