Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop died, replacing and want Dolphin to run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Bearpowers

So I'm replacing my dead laptop and want my next one to run Dolphin smoothly.

I'm most likely getting a Lenovo Y580

i7-3610QM is the CPU and a GTX 660M 2GB for the GPU.

Will this be enough for fluid 1080p emulation with anti aliasing?

I know Dolphin will run better on a desktop, but I'm wondering if this has enough juice to run it well?

Thanks.
Get gaming laptop instead of multimedia laptop - Lenovo

Bearpowers

(06-28-2012, 05:46 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Get gaming laptop instead of multimedia laptop - Lenovo

There was a sager I was looking at, but I have the older y550 and have been greatly satisfied with it.

The Sager is also FAR MORE bulky.

The one you linked is more expensive because I can't stack a student discount on it like with the Lenovo.
It's expensive because of the cooling design (2 big fans on the back ,laptop case is easy to take apart for cleaning/ replacing thermal compound)
The multimedia laptop usually run hot with dolphin .
If your laptop overheats , dolphin will run slow . Not mention the heat will affect laptop life span
That why i always recommend gaming laptop when it comes to dolphin
Quote:The multimedia laptop usually run hot with dolphin

I can confirm this Wink I've got a multimedia Notebook from Lenovo (IdeaPad Z750). When i play games with Dolphin, the CPU temperature is between 80 and 95 degress celsius.
Fluid 1080p Emulation? That is a tall order by itself! Even for a native PC application!!

And, are you sure your laptop would even support that resolution? Tongue

Bearpowers

(06-28-2012, 07:30 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The multimedia laptop usually run hot with dolphin

I can confirm this Wink I've got a multimedia Notebook from Lenovo (IdeaPad Z750). When i play games with Dolphin, the CPU temperature is between 80 and 95 degress celsius.

My Lenovo Ideapad Y550 has never went over 60C playing games.
(06-28-2012, 08:48 PM)belomeclone Wrote: [ -> ]Fluid 1080p Emulation? That is a tall order by itself! Even for a native PC application!!

And, are you sure your laptop would even support that resolution? Tongue

The display is 1920 x 1080
Quote:My Lenovo Ideapad Y550 has never went over 60C playing games.
I just google your Laptop , Specs : Core 2 Duo T6500 @ 2.10GHz , Nvidia GT 130M (Not really sure)

i7 is a high-end quad core + hyperthreading -> Use alot of power to run -> Run much hotter than your low-end Core 2 duo
Nvidia GT 540M is a mid-range GPU ->Use more power than the low-end Nvidia GT 130M -> Run much hotter
Nvidia GTX 660M is a high-end GPU for laptop -> Use more power than the mid-range 540M -> Need Extra cooler (The Laptop must have dual fan to handle both high-end CPU and high-end GPU
Are you 100% sure you need it to be a laptop? It's far cheaper to get a desktop which can fit you demands than a laptop.
I'd personally suggest building a PC for all of your games, and getting a laptop for work/school. Laptops aren't made for gaming. Gaming laptops are. Tho if you run a laptop + gaming pc you could always install teamviewer, turn off the monitor of your pc and run your pc off your laptop which is a BIG plus. Even on small netbooks (10''). This way your laptop will run cool and you have acces to all the beefy power of your gaming rig.

That's my current plan, after I get my gtx 670 i'll go for a small form factor notebook. Maybe even an ultrabook if they get a pricedrop. And just run my PC of teamviewer in case i'd like to run some games.

Though I'm quite serious about gaming, I like sitting on a real chair having a full sized keyboard and a mouse and ofcourse a 21'' or bigger screen with decent quality.
Pages: 1 2