Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GBA Link, would this be possible? (Concept)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TyMiles2012

A neat idea, will this by chance work?

Okay here it is... As I can't put it into words very well. Tongue

[Image: 31969774.png]

I won't have access to my brother's netbook for a while so that's why I'm asking, the images are a realistic view of what I'm planning on using.

I can already verify that the whole HDMI extended displays do in fact work.

This is only a concept art, if you fall for it. Then HA! Smile
TCP packets are not suited for instant/constant pulse transmission schemes. (All packets are acknowledged and resent when a discrepancy is found)
UDP is prone to transmission discrepancies due to the lack of packet verification (UDP doesn't support transmission acknowledgement.)

unless you have a 100Mbit up/down internet connection, streaming joybus packets over the internet will make the emulator(s) run in slow mo, desync or not work at all.
There was a thread saying how to do this, but it only worked with one game, as only one game connected in a way which could be emulated.

I think that thread said it worked best if everything ran on one computer.
(06-27-2012, 07:08 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]TCP packets are not suited for instant/constant pulse transmission schemes. (All packets are acknowledged and resent when a discrepancy is found)
UDP is prone to transmission discrepancies due to the lack of packet verification (UDP doesn't support transmission acknowledgement.)

unless you have a 100Mbit up/down internet connection, streaming joybus packets over the internet will make the emulator(s) run in slow mo, desync or not work at all.

You wouldn't need an internet connection, it's over the local network, and I think Wireless-N has transfer speeds that fast. (Wikipedia says its highest is 600Mbits/s.)
Wireless is interpolated, all packets are padded and checked on both send and recieve.
The main problem for LAN GBA link is probably latency, not bandwidth... if I'm not mistaken games assume (rightfully) that the GBA link cable has almost no latency, but this is not true even on a LAN. 2-5ms of latency are common over Wi-Fi.
That was my point delroth, packet interpolation and the TCP ack add to latency.

UDP across LAN would have the least latency but over WLAN its not recommended to use udp because of the risk of packet loss.
Yeah, I misread your post, probably because of "unless you have a 100Mbit up/down internet connection" which shouldn't really matter. UDP over WLAN could work with packets duplication to mitigate the packet loss probability, but it would still be very random, and I'm not even sure if latency would be low enough for games to be playable.
but yeah, the GBA and Joybus links are SERIAL communications so there was no padding of packets and latency was always the same (at close to 0) i believe the difference between GB and GBA linking was the change to full duplex serial communications....i expect only shuffle2 could answer that though.