Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is thermal paste on Ivy bridge processers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well I was wondering what thermal paste was since I am getting a MacBook pro with retina display I really need to know what people are saying about redo the thermal paste?
Click here
Disassemble that laptop . Remove the old thermal paste and apply aftermarket one (Arctic MX-4)
You can't do that unless you're technician
I usually did it myself with my old laptop, but no longer with my new one because it is harder to be disassembled (for me). I'd spend some bucks every year rather than risking messing with it.
(06-26-2012, 06:53 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Click here
Disassemble that laptop . Remove the old thermal paste and apply aftermarket one (Arctic MX-4)
You can't do that unless you're technician

Do I have to change it again if something goes wrong?
And what would happen if I don't change it
I don't know if the thermal paste degrades overtime, but after removing the heatsink for cleaning purpose, they apply the thermal paste, simply because the old one cannot attach to the heatsink anymore.
Quote:And what would happen if I don't change it
It's fine if you only play PC games
With dolphin , the CPU will overheat fast (may be 90C+) . It'll affect the laptop life span
Seriouly , you should buy gaming laptop instead of buying MBP Retina which is a multimedia laptop

Quote:"iFixit" scored the Retina MacBook Pro a 1/10 in repairability
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/ret...ary-parts/
(06-26-2012, 07:18 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:And what would happen if I don't change it
It's fine if you only play PC games
With dolphin , the CPU will overheat fast (may be 90C+) . It'll affect the laptop life span
Seriouly , you should buy gaming laptop instead of buying MBP Retina which is a multimedia laptop

Quote:"iFixit" scored the Retina MacBook Pro a 1/10 in repairability
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/ret...ary-parts/

Well I already have a gaming computer it runs good but I am just looking for something better.

And what if I put a portable fan with the built in ones will that do anything at all or will it still heat up and might destroy the computer.

And is there any way I can tell when I have to change my themnal paste.
You should wait for Haswell CPU which will be released in 2013 . Ivy Bridge (i7 3610Qm) is not much better than the one you're using (i7 2630QM)
Haswell is much better than Ivy Bridge
Still , if you like retina screen then go for it
(06-26-2012, 07:35 PM)rajwii64 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I already have a gaming computer it runs good but I am just looking for something better.

And what if I put a portable fan with the built in ones will that do anything at all or will it still heat up and might destroy the computer.

2. you cant destroy an notebook... the are preventing overheating with emergency shutdowns and down throtthling... it just decreases the lifespan from infinity by 50%
2. google "notebook cooler" they are helping a little preventing this
2. an apple product is never better than a gaming rig

1. for the mony of the apple with retina 2000bucks++

you can get 1 highly overclocked ivybrdige rig with watercooling!
and 2 multimedia notebook... (lenovo,samsung,acer+++)

one for you and one for your mum
Well I really don't want to Wait a year for the Harswell CPU

And I am going to spend about 2.8k on a laptop so if you guys know an epic laptop that is overclocked and can run a wii games at at least 60FPS and is really good for gaming like Cod and games like that please tell me thank you Smile

Pages: 1 2 3 4