Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5-3450 or i5-3570k OC - How much does the CPU (and OC) matter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks for clarifying, I will see what I can do, maybe I will find a different Z77 Board Smile
don´t go cheap on the mobo , a nice z77x-ud3 is 145$, you can oc the crap of that cpu, don´t forget the cooler

a good mobo has heatsinks on the vrm, so you can up the vcore without worries
(06-23-2012, 09:08 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:a CPU overclock always results in a speed up.
fixed.

Um actually he had it right the first time. A cpu overclock does not always result in a speed up. You of all people should know that. "Almost always" would be correct assuming it's a cpu bound application.
NV Wrote:Um actually he had it right the first time. A cpu overclock does not always result in a speed up. You of all people should know that. "Almost always" would be correct assuming it's a cpu bound application.
Have you read the rest of my post?
I thought we were talking about Dolphin.
It won't if the bottleneck is the GPU, for example. If someone had a pre-HD1000 motherboard graphics adapter, then a CPU overclock wouldn't make a difference, although I'm not 100% sure this is the example naturalviolence would have given.
AnyOldName3 Wrote:It won't if the bottleneck is the GPU, for example. If someone had a pre-HD1000 motherboard graphics adapter, then a CPU overclock wouldn't make a difference, although I'm not 100% sure this is the example naturalviolence would have given.

[Image: freeinternet-e1302138271494.jpg]

I couldn't help myself.....I'll show myself out.
If you read the context, orang stated in a different way that if you aren't getting bottlenecked already, you're almost always going to get a speedup.
Which is wrong, because you're always going to get a speedup in that case.

Here is a more complete answer:
A CPU overclock will always result in a speedup if you have a 'decent' discrete GPU. If you have an IGP or a very crappy discrete GPU, you're very likely to get bottlenecked and overclocking will have little to no difference at all.

Pages: 1 2