Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Fairly Old Build, Low Budget Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Nah.
Hyper 212 is fine.

I can't overclock at all.
werewolfyman Wrote:I'd use that build for PCSX2. as it supports 4 cores.

Minor correction.

LolCakeLazors Wrote:Or I could get the Noctua and spend huge amounts of money on a CPU cooler that barely fits in my case

You won't really be able to OC any higher with that. Either way you're capped at around 4.0GHz. Anything higher will require absurd voltages to maintain stability.
About Xenoblade. It will run... mostly at 82-100% speed. Really. You guys forgot about settings Wink And it's even faster with hashless build.
MH3 - playable but a bit slow.
So if I OC to 4.0 GHz, then everything should be fine?
Someone claimed that, clock speed doesn't matter, but I think 4.0 GHz will run Dolphin very smoothly, even 3.0 GHz, given the proper settings.

The problem with most people is that they want to run things at full compacity right from the start, like the enhancements and other shit. Start with what the Gamecube/Wii normally runs at first.
Quote:clock speed doesn't matter

lulz Big Grin That's false.

Quote: but I think 4.0 GHz will run Dolphin very smoothly, even 3.0 GHz, given the proper settings.

yeah, most games should be playable. but for the heavy ones, more than 4.0Ghz is recommended, especially, if LLE is enabled. (only Intel CPUs)
AMD CPUs need about 8GHz or something like that to handle demanding games with LLE Wink (cause of the worse architecture compared to the architecture of Intel CPUs)
Quote:Someone claimed that, clock speed doesn't matter, but I think 4.0 GHz will run Dolphin very smoothly, even 3.0 GHz, given the proper settings.

It does matter but it's not the only thing that affects cpu performance. A 3GHz sandy bridge i5/i7 cpu will beat a 4GHz phenom II X4 in most applications.
I thought the general consensus was 3GHz of Sandy i5/7 = 4.5GHz of Phenom.
Quote:I thought the general consensus was 3GHz of Sandy i5/7 = 4.5GHz of Phenom II.

Depends on the application. Under ideal circumstances yes. Also please make sure to differentiate between phenom and phenom II. Phenom II has a MUCH higher IPC than phenom.
So much so that it rarely gets mentioned, as it's less popular, so I ignore the 2, and assume someone means a phenom 2, which is probably a horrible habit to have.
Pages: 1 2 3