Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which laptop will be better to run dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mfg422

Have been searching for a new laptop for a while now and think I've found decent one for a fair price but since I'm still a bit of a noob in terms of dolphin (only played games on brother's laptop), I'm not exactly sure if the specs are decent. Will this laptop at least run gamecube games? I could live without wii ones if they wouldn't run properly.

Update: found another so now I'm not sure which is the better buy (both are around the same price but wont list it) and thanks to werewolfman for replying to my earlier post.

The specs of the first one I found are:

HP Pavillion dv7 notebook
memory type - DDR3
memory size - 6 GB
processor - Intel core i5-460M 2.53 GHz
Hard drive capacity - 640GB
Hard drive speed - 5400 RPM
GPU - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370

Specs for the other one:

Acer Aspire Timeline
memory type - DDR3
memory size - 4 GB
processor - Intel Core i5-2450M 2.50GHz
hard drive capacity - 500 GB
hard drive speed - 5400 RPM
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Thanks for the help!
(06-21-2012, 03:28 PM)mfg422 Wrote: [ -> ]Have been searching for a new laptop for a while now and think I've found decent one for a fair price but since I'm still a bit of a noob in terms of dolphin (only played games on brother's laptop), I'm not exactly sure if the specs are decent. Will this laptop at least run gamecube games? I could live without wii ones if they wouldn't run properly.

Update: found another so now I'm not sure which is the better buy (both are around the same price but wont list it) and thanks to werewolfman for replying to my earlier post.

memory type - DDR3
memory size - 6 GB

Specs for the other one:

Acer Aspire Timeline
memory type - DDR3
memory size - 4 GB

Thanks for the help!

The second one.
Better GPU and CPU.
Plus turbo boost.
Should run most Wii/Gamecube games well. (And at 2x native, or 720p.)
A couple games will even run at 3x native! (1080p.) (Melee, Sonic adventure 1/2; less graphically demanding games. )
The RAM and HDD make no difference at all.

I would say that Skyward Sword could run on that, judging from other wiki users, but I don't own it myself.
That processor is similar to my desktop processor, to give you an idea. It has two cores instead of four, but performance should be similar under HLE.
One guy got it working fullspeed on a Phenom 2 x4 955 @ 3.4 ghz, and that's a good bit weaker than my processor.

So yeah, number two or bust.

mfg422

(06-21-2012, 03:44 PM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-21-2012, 03:28 PM)mfg422 Wrote: [ -> ]Have been searching for a new laptop for a while now and think I've found decent one for a fair price but since I'm still a bit of a noob in terms of dolphin (only played games on brother's laptop), I'm not exactly sure if the specs are decent. Will this laptop at least run gamecube games? I could live without wii ones if they wouldn't run properly.

memory type - DDR3
memory size - 6 GB

Specs for the other one:

Acer Aspire Timeline
memory type - DDR3
memory size - 4 GB

Thanks for the help!

The second one.
Better GPU and CPU.
Plus turbo boost.
Should run most Wii/Gamecube games well. (And at 2x native, or 720p.)
A couple games will even run at 3x native! (1080p.) (Melee, Sonic adventure 1/2; less graphically demanding games. )
The RAM and HDD make no difference at all.

I would say that Skyward Sword could run on that, judging from other wiki users, but I don't own it myself.
That processor is similar to my desktop processor, to give you an idea. It has two cores instead of four, but performance should be similar under HLE.
One guy got it working fullspeed on a Phenom 2 x4 955 @ 3.4 ghz, and that's a good bit weaker than my processor.

So yeah, number two or bust.

Thanks so much again! It's about $100 more but still within my budget to go for it. I used to have some of those games you listed so knowing the second one can play them sounds cool to me. A rush of nostalgia when thinking of melee.

I'm def going to order it this weekend (They have a decent amount in stock when I checked so I should be good to hold of til friday payday). Comparing the two is helping me understand specs a bit better as well.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!