Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: speed suddenly slows down(temperature maybe)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

voltaire00

Im playing tales of symphonia and it starts good and plays at 60 fps 100% speed. However, after like 15-20 minutes of playing, it starts to drop at 20fps 30% speed for 5 seconds and becomes 100% again. Playing at 1x native resolution.

After some research, cpu temperature might be the culprit imo. Because when the core temperature reaches 61C and the GPU temperature reaches like 67C, it begins to slow down. This also happens on other emulators like PCSX2. Im using coretemp and GPU-Z to monitor the temperature.

I would like to know if my deduction is correct and if there would are other underlying reasons why this is happening. Also, i would like to have some expert advice and detailed suggestions before i change/replace anything on my computer.

PC specs
CPU: AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core processor @3.1GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210
RAM: 2GB DDR3
Im using Dolphin 3.0 -589
PSU: 500watts(not so good brand)
i only have the stock fan for the cpu and graphics card.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

both of those temperatures are well below the thermal throttle point.

i expect its more a combination of settings, inferior cpu and low performing GPU.
(06-21-2012, 05:34 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]both of those temperatures are well below the thermal throttle point.

i expect its more a combination of settings, inferior cpu and low performing GPU.

*Sees FX-8120, Geforce 210.*
*Facepalms*

That CPU has very poor single/dual/triple threaded performance.
That GPU is just for video encoding.

Recommended CPU for the current socket you have: Phenom 2 x4 965.
Recommended CPU in general: i5 2500k/ i5 3570k.
Recommended GPU: GTX 550 Ti/ HD 6790

To put it in perspective: My processor costs a little bit ($10-20) more than yours and is much faster at stock settings. (This is due to a much better optimized and often said to be more modern architecture.)
My GPU costs quite a bit more than yours ($110), so ofc better performance.