Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Massive screen tearing even with vsync on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have a strange vsync issue with Dolphin. Even if I have vsync on, when I use the DX9 or DX11 blackend, I'll get massive sceen tearing. However, when I use the openGL blackend with vsync, there's no more tearing. There's still massive tearing with vsync off using openGL.

I know that vsync is *seemingly* on using the DX9 and DX11 blackend because If I set 'frame rate limiter' to 'off' and the FPS is still locked to 60Hz. The tearing on the other hand, doesn't change, still. Huh

* I'm currently using r692-dirty
* I have tried to turn off/change any Dolphin settings
* Using Catalyst_11.11c driver

Edit1: I guess that Dolphin might lock the FPS at 60 with the vsync box checked; although it might actually *not* be on. Then it could be a graphics card driver isssue, I guess. Vsync does, however, work with my another games, that I have tested out - so far.

Edit2: I could have found a solution for this issue of mine - or it could still just be some random coincident, I guess. I don't think it is, though. Read below:

I tried to 'force' vsync off in my ATI ccc and this did not work. However, I tried to use the program 'Direct3D overrider' to actually force vsync on (something the ATI ccc cannot do, it seems) and this seems to work. No more screen tearing.

Edit3: Now it gets very strange. I found out that Direct3D overrider actually didn't force vsync on with Dolphin. I even tried to force it off, but now that's no tearing either with vsync on or off. DX11. Seems like a bug to me. I, of course, resettet Dolphin between changing any settings (outside or inside Dolphin)

Edit: 4: I can force vsync on through Catalyst (CCC) when using the OpenGL blackend. I cannot do this with the DX9 or DX11 blackend! This must be a clue, surely?

Edit: 4: I solved the issue! See my last post in this thread for the fix.
Try to update your drivers if you haven't already.
This problem is really killing me. I've tried multiple drivers from ATI included 12.4, 11.11c, 9.5. Dolphin versions r702, r301, r77. And stuff like Redeonpro, DXoverider, ATI tray tools.

The thing is: Sometimes vsync do work with DX9 and DX11 - but only randomly occuring. Wheather vsync works - or not - is always determined at the loading up of a game ISO. The trigger of this randomness is unknown to me. But changing unrelated settings to vsync like resolution and blackends will trigger the deciding factor sometimes.

Seems like a Dolphin bug to me. Sad
I noticed something that I think might have something to do with this vsync issue. When I use OpenGL I can control vsync in Dolphin through my CCC (Catalyst). So leaving vsync 'off' in Dolphin but 'on' in the CCC will cause vsync to be forced on. I cannot do this with DX9 or DX11 blackend! This must be a clue to what's wrong, surely. Please help me out here. Ask questions or whatever. Smile
AMD only supports vsync in fullscreen coz their drivers suck balls.
(06-24-2012, 11:31 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]AMD only supports vsync in fullscreen coz their drivers suck balls.

Yeah, they really suck balls, and I really regret getting a ATI card at this point.

I had tried with fullscreen checked in Dolphin, but, alas, same deal. With OpenGL vsync actually do work i window mode. It might still be that with DX9 or DX11 that GFX driver have touble detecting that Dolphin is running a DX game/in fullscreen. But maybe it isn't actually proper fullscreen? Just a full windowed screen without borders?
I found some interresting info about DirectX + vsync in Windows 7 in a thread on a hardware/software forum. This is from a quote:

''As far as I can recall, Vista and Windows 7 don't allow you to force Vsync on or off at the driver level if you are using DirectX. You have to set it in-game, and if a game doesn't have the option, you are limited to whatever default the game uses (some have it on, some not.)

I can't remember if this restriction applies to all versions of DirectX on Vista/7, or just DirectX 10 and 11''.

It should still be possible to force vsync on/off through the driver when using OpenGL.''.

If this is indeed true - and it does match my own results (also, in other DX9 applications than Dolphin) - then this *again* seems like a Dolphin issue with vsync and DX9/DX11.

Please replay...
Quote:''As far as I can recall, Vista and Windows 7 don't allow you to force Vsync on or off at the driver level if you are using DirectX. You have to set it in-game, and if a game doesn't have the option, you are limited to whatever default the game uses (some have it on, some not.)

I can't remember if this restriction applies to all versions of DirectX on Vista/7, or just DirectX 10 and 11''.

Just d3d10/11. And even then there are ways around it.
(06-25-2012, 03:59 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:''As far as I can recall, Vista and Windows 7 don't allow you to force Vsync on or off at the driver level if you are using DirectX. You have to set it in-game, and if a game doesn't have the option, you are limited to whatever default the game uses (some have it on, some not.)

Just d3d10/11. And even then there are ways around it.

Yeah ways like DXoverrider which doesn't work with Dolphin. It does work with other DX games where the CCC does not, though - but not with Dolphin.

Which other ways could I try?

I don't know. I don't have this problem so I'm guessing it's a driver issue.
Pages: 1 2