Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Quad Core done by someone else?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Fuzzlefluff

I get that the devs aren't going to make it quad core but isn't this open source?

does anyone know if someone out there made a custom version optimized for quad cores? As you can see my processors don't work well alone with only 1.7GHz each

Operating System: Win7/64Bit
Processor/CPU: Intel/Quad/1.7GHz
Video Card/GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5800
Memory/RAM: DDR3/12 GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 3.0
Lulz Big Grin

Definetely not.

Fuzzlefluff

(06-20-2012, 03:16 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Lulz Big Grin

Definetely not.

How helpful Dodgy
I think by now if it was possible it would have been done, that's why no one is going to be very helpful on this subject. It's been talked to death already.

Fuzzlefluff

(06-20-2012, 04:44 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I think by now if it was possible it would have been done, that's why no one is going to be very helpful on this subject. It's been talked to death already.

eh from what I read it was just not something people wanted to do
That certainly isn't the only reason.
(06-20-2012, 02:51 PM)Fuzzlefluff Wrote: [ -> ]I get that the devs aren't going to make it quad core but isn't this open source?

does anyone know if someone out there made a custom version optimized for quad cores? As you can see my processors don't work well alone with only 1.7GHz each

You dont understand what open source means. "someone out there" IS developer,and if that someone made quad core version,and it worked properly,it would be included in dolphin release.
Someone thought of something recently (which skid said he'd already thought of, but hadn't done anything for), but the problem was, he decided that to fix the bugs he'd introduced, it would take him at least 60 days. Not many people have a spare 60 days which their first choice of activity for would be writing code which may actually never work. There's also the issue that making something run on another core requires some mechanism for the game code to be made compatible. By the time this has been done, it may well have counteracted the speedup given.
What your referring to is skids idea of putting the HLE dsp emulator on its own thread (essentially adding an HLE on thread option). Currently the only way to have audio emulation on its own thread is through LLE on thread. Either way you're talking about 3 major threads not 4.

The problem is we only have 3 major processors to emulate. While the ps2 for example has 5-8 depending on your definition of major.

To my knowledge no emulator in history has ever produced any speedup from multithreading the emulation of a single processor.
(06-21-2012, 01:25 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]What your referring to is skids idea of putting the HLE dsp emulator on its own thread (essentially adding an HLE on thread option).

I was thinking everything other than the CPU on a thread. So that is not just the DSP HLE, but the controllers, memory cards, Wii SD slot etc, all in one thread.

(06-21-2012, 01:25 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]To my knowledge no emulator in history has ever produced any speedup from multithreading the emulation of a single processor.

I'm not even sure if it is possible to multi-thread the emulation of a single processor - not counting the threading of the JIT compiler vs the execution.
Pages: 1 2