Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just upgraded pc, what difference shall I expect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dekadeka

Went from a Q6600 to a i7 2700k

New specs
I7 2700k
8 gigs DDR3 ram
HD 6870 1 gig
Windows 7 64 bit

I struggled to play games before(only difference was cpu) and wanted to play games like arc rise fantasia and GC games like Sonic Adventure 2 (which struggle about 40fps on current build)
All games are playable Smile If you overlock your CPU to 4.4 GHz, you'll discover a great gaming experiencxe - Nearly all games would run @ fullspeed.
An excellent upgrade. I also upgraded from a Q6600, but to a 2500K.
Sonic Adventure 2 will play fullspeed at all times.
Arc Rise Fantasia should also be fullspeed.
short: All your games are playable @ fullspeed (but there are a few exception, e.g. the game CoD2 The Big Red One. This game needs a 10GHz CPU because it only work in Interpreter mode)
(06-18-2012, 03:49 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]An excellent upgrade. I also upgraded from a Q6600, but to a 2500K.
Sonic Adventure 2 will play fullspeed at all times.
Arc Rise Fantasia should also be fullspeed.

Upgraded from a pentium 4.
Those games are fullspeed as well. (And I can't even overclock!)
LOL @ P4 sucks.Big Grin
I bet you squeezed til the last mhz out of that P4. Don't be so ungrateful Wink
(06-18-2012, 10:09 AM)kernel64 Wrote: [ -> ]I bet you squeezed til the last mhz out of that P4. Don't be so ungrateful Wink

Always got 20 fps on HL2 @ 720p, despite the fact that the X1550 is a better GPU than the the intel HD 2000, which consistently gets 50 fps @ 720p on the same settings. (When I tried it in January.)

Most of the games I play now wouldn't even run.
And Dolphin didn't work.
AT ALL.
I wanted to build a PC just for emulation... Until I discovered real PC gaming, and the one thing that has been missing from my games: 1080p.

Still loved it, but had to gut it to get the HDDs out, so it's gone to goodwill.
All's well that ends well.Big Grin

Besides, some people use netbooks.
Even my Pentium 4 would pity them.
(It was an old Northwood clocked @ 2.0 ghz, so it was very unresponsive at best, which says a lot.)

The funniest part of this story was that I had wanted a Phenom 2 X4 until I read around.
I thought since the Pentium 4 sucked, ALL Intel processors sucked.
I learned soon enough.

Really, I could have gotten a g620 and a GT 440 and been just as happy.
Then I discovered what a REAL GPU was like.
So that's out of the window.