Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mac OpenGL vs VM DirectX vs Bootcamp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Helloiamhernaldo

I was wondering if Dolphin would run better on a VM running DirectX or on my Mac natively running OpenGL. Is the difference between OpenGL running and DirectX running big? Would bootcamping WinXP/Win7 be much better? Would it be worth the trouble of bootcamping and stuff? I have 8gb ram and my Parallel VM runs extremely well, you'd think it's bootcamped.
Bootcamp ofc
You'll need 20GHz CPU to use VMware with dolphin : emulate windows 7 pc -> emulate Wii , something like emulator in emulator
DirectX is faster than OGL in most cases, so you'll see a definite speedup using bootcamp
I wouldn't trust OS X's OpenGL. It has, issues, let's say. For example, a couple of people have reported shadow glitches in Xenoblade Chronicles on OS X, but OpenGL on either Linux or Windows seems to run fine with the game. Personally, I think the drivers are kinda flaky. The difference between OpenGL and DirectX varies depending on hardware and drivers, but in my experience, it's always been fast enough.

Keep in mind that Dolphin is already a pretty demanding application. Adding more layers into the mix might slow things down. Since you seem to already own Parallel VM, try it. If those speeds are low and unacceptable, use BootCamp for sure. My vote's with BootCamp for being the best option, however, since everything done in Windows should be native, meaning less potential problems, more potential speed.
admin89 Wrote:You'll need 20GHz CPU to use VMware with dolphin : emulate windows 7 pc -> emulate Wii , something like emulator in emulator
Virtualization != emulation
alot of the virtual machine is still emulated hardware lamedude, you lose performance out of this to a degree.