Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New build!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!
I'm just trying to put on a decent build for (mostly) Dolphin.

I'd really like to play on a laptop but it seems that they don't suit well the role, right? Any hint? (Budget: less than 750$... I'm italian, that's 600 euros, more or less Undecided )

Talking about a desktop build i have a spare Radeon HD 5800 series, can you help me with the other components?

Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Socket 1155

Intel Core i5-2500K

Corsair Gaming Series GS600 600W 80plus

What do you think? Im not really into hardware, need some help with ram, hd and heatsink i guess...

Also, imho that cpu+mobo are a little too much Angel, i would play:

- no single player game (no zelda, donkey kong country, smg)
- a lot of wii ware games
- a lot of gamecube multiplayer games like ssbm, mkdd, mario tennis...
- some wii games like ssbb and other (always multi)

and i'm not interested in superpower graphic, i just need a good framerate Smile

thanks a lot!
That's a good start.

Which of the series is the card?
Do you also want a case?
I'm at the office atm, the card is a Radeon HD 5800, i don't remember if it has anything else in the name (i'm pretty sure it's a 1gb GDDR5).
I'd like a case too Smile

And I already have a nice audio card (Xonar dx)...

Thanks for the quick reply!
The 5800 is the series of the GPU. And 1GB GDDR5 doesn't mean anything special, especially nowadays.
Does either the: 5830, 5850 or 5870 ring a bell?

I've put a rig together for you, without a third-party cooler, as the shop doesn't have any decent budget coolers.
It's €602 btw. Slightly over your budget.
[Image: fM6WC.png]
You even that from e-key, awesome!

A setup like that is lightly expensive for me (at least this month)...
also, a laptop generally is a bad idea, right?

The GPU is a 5850 i think !
Yes, an approximately equivalent laptop would be approaching [imagine euro symbol here, as I just discovered a GB keyboard has no Euro key]1200 or more.
Save up for it, it's worth it.
The 5850 will fit nicely with this build, so no need for a new GPU if you focus on Dolphin.
oh yeah 90% dolphin (and other emulators) and 10% counter-strike 1.6. And i think that a setup like this is more than enough for cs Tongue
If by cs you mean creative suite, I think you are also ok, especially if you are upgrading from a core i (first gen) or lower. The performance benefit from my old core i5 750 was huge, especially in multicore processing (which in ae is only possible with 8 gb ram or more).
Sorry Kernel64, by CS i mean Counter-Strike. Anyway, thanks for the info!
Pages: 1 2