Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Automatic Frameskipping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

funkylich

Does anyone know what happened to Ilius's auto-frameskip patch? I have been looking all over for recent discussion about this fantastic feature and I can't find anything, not even the patch files. Was the idea scrapped or is the option actually hidden somewhere in newer builds?

From my understanding it keeps you from having to set different frameskip values while playing to ensure the game always runs at full speed, at the cost of frames of course. For example, a game may run smoothly most of the time, but say when there are lots of enemies on the screen the game normally slows down. Well, here auto frameskip can increase the frameskip value to make sure the game goes at full speed.

The patch was apparently complete and fully functional in 2009. So where can I find this feature in modern builds? If no build has it I would like to know where the patch is and how to patch it in myself.
It might be gone because it doesn't work. Frameskipping tends to have almost no impact whatsoever on speed ingame, even skipping 9/10 frames because they still have to be rendered, just not displayed.
(06-12-2012, 11:42 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]It might be gone because it doesn't work. Frameskipping tends to have almost no impact whatsoever on speed ingame, even skipping 9/10 frames because they still have to be rendered, just not displayed.
I'm pretty sure the latest dolphin builds have frame skipping under 'Emulation".
I was talking about the frameskipping patch. It was removed when people realized that frameskipping made almost no difference, so a script for it just adds unnecessary complexion to Dolphin.