Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: NES casemod, will this run dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I am building a NES casemod to use as a emulator pc, i want to be able to play everything so i figured i set my hardware to the dolphin emulator because this is the most hard to handle emulator. I do not know which games take a lot of power but im looking to play SSBB and mario kart games and such, party games. But i am also curious how well Mario Galaxy (2) will run on this. I did look on the gpu section, that is how I chose my gpu.

CPU: i3 2120
GPU: Geforce 550 Ti
Mini-ITX: Asrock H61M-ITX
Memory: 4 GB (no brand selected yet)

Thank in advance
(06-11-2012, 01:29 AM)Boerenkool Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

I am building a NES casemod to use as a emulator pc, i want to be able to play everything so i figured i set my hardware to the dolphin emulator because this is the most hard to handle emulator. I do not know which games take a lot of power but im looking to play SSBB and mario kart games and such, party games. But i am also curious how well Mario Galaxy (2) will run on this. I did look on the gpu section, that is how I chose my gpu.

CPU: i3 2120
GPU: Geforce 550 Ti
Mini-ITX: Asrock H61M-ITX
Memory: 4 GB (no brand selected yet)

Thank in advance

Good luck fitting a GTX 550 Ti in an NES case.
Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 need (in most cases) an Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz/i5-3750k @ 4.2GHz to run @ fullspeed (with LLE enabled). Mario Kart Wii and SSBB should be pretty playable with your CPU (in single player mode, in multiplayer mode, you'll have slowdowns).

(06-11-2012, 01:34 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 need (in most cases) an Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz/i5-3750k @ 4.2GHz to run @ fullspeed (with LLE enabled). Mario Kart Wii and SSBB should be pretty playable with your CPU (in single player mode, in multiplayer mode, you'll have slowdowns).

What should I upgrade if want to play mario kart/SSBB kind of games without slowdown?
Always the processor once you've got a half decent GPU.
(06-11-2012, 01:59 AM)Boerenkool Wrote: [ -> ]What should I upgrade if want to play mario kart/SSBB kind of games without slowdown?

i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz should be fast enough for multiplayer mode (real person ,not CPU)
Cooling design is the main problem . NES case is too small , i doubt it could fit a big GPU and you may put the PSU outside of the case
i built a test-bench pc , i have 80mm case fan and HDD mounted on the back of motherboard for best cooling method
Hey I just found this gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814102958 is this one still good enough to run dolphin games? This card is very small. cause this one is a bit cheaper i may then get the i5 2500k.
This GPU is able to handle 3x IR (1080p). But not 4x IR Wink
(06-11-2012, 05:43 AM)Boerenkool Wrote: [ -> ]Hey I just found this gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814102958 is this one still good enough to run dolphin games? This card is very small. cause this one is a bit cheaper i may then get the i5 2500k.

I have that exact gpu. Yes, you can run some games at 3x IR. I run them at 2x though to keep a constant speed. But if you overclock it to the max, no doubt you could run them in 3x easily. Also, I can run skyrim and BF3 in 1080 if that helps.
(06-11-2012, 04:25 PM)garrlker Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2012, 05:43 AM)Boerenkool Wrote: [ -> ]Hey I just found this gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814102958 is this one still good enough to run dolphin games? This card is very small. cause this one is a bit cheaper i may then get the i5 2500k.

I have that exact gpu. Yes, you can run some games at 3x IR. I run them at 2x though to keep a constant speed. But if you overclock it to the max, no doubt you could run them in 3x easily. Also, I can run skyrim and BF3 in 1080 if that helps.

Ah sweet i will probably go for the 6670 Smile