Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my hardware good enough/any point in trying?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Metaknigth

So sometime back(years) I trying running things on dolphin and I remember it wasn't even up till 2.0. It was hell. Slow,laggy/choppy,glitchy.
Well after a couple of upgrade to my PC I downloaded it and tried again, this was a... year ago ? I know 2.0. was out. I remember tinkering with it back then and getting Mario Galaxy to work on it, smoothly but quite slow. Frames where around the 20 but it was smooth. Imagine slow-mo. Playable, but hell it would take me hours to beat even one level... so I didn't even bother.
I don't think I had any upgrades since then (if I have had... which I can't recall it was my video card).

You can see my specs below ( I hope so. First post. Also: Hi ! :3 )

So my question is this:
I know about the tinkering it may take to squeeze out the maximum frames to get a certain game running... so is there any point in my trying my luck with 3.0 ?
I mostly want to play Mario and Zelda games ( Galaxy and TP ) . Nothing else is popping up in my head.

So is there a point in me trying at all ?

Also save the hardware upgrade talk for now... I'll ask if I want but I definitely can't get any upgrade right now or even any time soon so best not bother at the moment.
Quote:Intel Pentium Dual E2140 1.60GHz

Very weak CPU.

Quote:I mostly want to play Mario and Zelda games

Zelda: No way with THAT CPU
Mario: Mario Galaxy 1+2 -> No way...
NSMBWii: Would run, but slow.
Other Mario games: Would run, but slow

All in all, I would say, that you CAN play games with Dolphin, but i don't think, that you'll enjoy slow-mo Wink

Metaknigth

Yea I remember CPU was a problem before. It is very weak and its the first thing I want to upgrade. Though hell if I know when that's going to be... having problems with some modern games too...

Ok thanks for the help. That was all. You can let this thread die or close it or something...
(06-09-2012, 03:54 AM)Metaknigth Wrote: [ -> ]Yea I remember CPU was a problem before. It is very weak and its the first thing I want to upgrade. Though hell if I know when that's going to be... having problems with some modern games too...

Ok thanks for the help. That was all. You can let this thread die or close it or something...

I won't post prices, but I do recommend an i3 or Sandy Bridge Pentium.
Whenever you do have money, pay newegg a visit and buy an Intel processor.
They are the best for dolphin right now.
I know you said no upgrade talk,but maybe you are not aware that you can upgrade for very cheap,atleast for now,untill you have money for better upgrade.
I am talking about buying another 775 socket cpu for your mainboard. That would cost you like I think 70$ and it would be huge upgrade.
I am talking about cpu's such as e5700,e5800,e6600,e6700,e6800 which ever you could find.
They all run at 3ghz+ so you can imagine they are huge upgrade.
Then later when you have more money you can buy new system with i3 or i5 processor.