Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting stutters and fps drops in games no matter what the settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I only tried 2 games so far, House of the Dead Overkill and Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop.

Both game's seem to achieve their 30 fps max, but have stuttering and sync problems.

On HOTD:O the frames drop below 24 fps frequently and the cutscenes play the voices out of sync with the video

In Dead Rising, It generally maintains 30 fps, but whenever a menu or text notification comes on screen, it stutters. There's also moments of slowdown that seem to be fixed by alt entering in and out of fullscreen.

I thought maybe it was my i7 2630qm bottlenecking me, but even when i lower all the settings and resolution to 640x480 and no enhancements, i get the exact same performance as full enhancements and 1080p

Is this just an emulation issue with these titles alone? What is a good game for me to use to test out my systems capabilities with this emulator? Something that is know to run with no issues so i can see the true performance of my machine.
Quote: i lower all the settings and resolution to 640x480 and no enhancements
That only work for low-end GPU that does not meet the minimum requirement . Your GPU is the beast why you even need to do that ?
With that GPU you can max every game in 4x Internal Resolution , 16x AF (except for anti-aliasing)
I use 2.5x IR , no AA , 16xAF for all games without slowdown at all
Just check the wiki , this game is very demanding on the CPU
Low clock speed CPU won't cut it

Quote:What is a good game for me to use to test out my systems capabilities with this emulator?
Check the wiki !
Muramasa the demon blade
New Super Mario Bros
Smash Bros Brawl
Kirby Return to Dream Land
and so on ...
(06-03-2012, 03:18 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: i lower all the settings and resolution to 640x480 and no enhancements
That only work for low-end GPU that does not meet the minimum requirement . Your GPU is the beast why you even need to do that ?
With that GPU you can max every game in 4x Internal Resolution , 16x AF (except for anti-aliasing)
I use 2.5x IR , no AA , 16xAF for all games without slowdown at all
Just check the wiki , this game is very demanding on the CPU
Low clock speed CPU won't cut it

Quote:What is a good game for me to use to test out my systems capabilities with this emulator?
Check the wiki !
Muramasa the demon blade
New Super Mario Bros
Smash Bros Brawl
Kirby Return to Dream Land
and so on ...

Even 2.8 ghz isn't fast enough to run wii games at solid 30 fps?
This video from the HOTD O wiki shows even with a high CPU it still gets low FPS at times, like 20 fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKjkfDhMms

Sure its not just an emulation issue?
Depend on the game dude
I have solid 30fps with Dead Rising , don't know about HoTD though
Some game like The Last Story , Super Mario Galaxy.... require Intel core i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz
(06-03-2012, 03:30 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Depend on the game dude
I have solid 30fps with Dead Rising , don't know about HoTD though
Some game like The Last Story , Super Mario Galaxy.... require Intel core i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz

Ahh well I guess i'll just stick with my wii itself till i upgrade to a new desktop in a few years :/
Yeah, Haswell will be released in 2013. This CPU generation will be much more effecient and powerful than Ivy Bridge.