Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OS X: No display when frameskipping is enabled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ZappoB

Hi community,

I'm just tried the newest version of Dolphin (3.0-687) on my MacBook Air (late 2011) and Super Mario Sunshine.

The first thing I noticed: if I enable frameskipping, the display freezes (not the game!), till I switch back to 0.

The second: I'm not able to change any pad-settings, no new keys are accepted.

Are there any workarounds possible?

Thanks for your help.
FrameSkipping is useless. Why are you using this?
Btw your processor is weak. Which i5 is it?
(06-03-2012, 12:32 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]FrameSkipping is useless. Why are you using this?

11 inch MBA uses i5-2467M (1.6GHz / 2.0GHz DC Turbo)
13 inch uses i5-2557M (1.7GHz / 2.4GHz DC Turbo)

11 inch can be upgraded to the 2557M and both can be upgraded to i7-2667M (1.8/2.6)
(06-03-2012, 12:58 AM)cluthz Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2012, 12:32 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]FrameSkipping is useless. Why are you using this?

11 inch MBA uses i5-2467M (1.6GHz / 2.0GHz DC Turbo)
13 inch uses i5-2557M (1.7GHz / 2.4GHz DC Turbo)

11 inch can be upgraded to the 2557M and both can be upgraded to i7-2667M (1.8/2.6)

OK. Thanks for clarifying this
Frameskipping is very different in Dolphin when compared to emulation in other systems (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc). Have a look at skid's detailed explanation here. Basically, Dolphin doesn't draw those frames to the screen, but it still has to calculate how the screen would look like anyway, so there's not going to be a speedup like in other 2D games on other emulators. It probably reduces GPU load to an extent, at the cost of making the video look choppy.

I've seen the same thing happen to me, even just setting the frameskipping to something like 2. I know this really isn't an answer to your question, but like LordVador said, frameskipping has very little use in Dolphin, so I'd advise you don't use it.

ZappoB

Ok, thank you for this information. I really thought, frameskipping would speed up the emulation. I now get about 60% speed and hoped to get to 100% by skipping frames.

The processor is the dualcore i5 with 1.7 GHz, graca is the Intel HD 3000 - both not too speedy, I know... but some of the 3D games as Duke Nukem are running pretty good with reduced resolution, so I thought I give Dolphin a try.

Doesn't matter, I'll try it with my next MBA in 2 years Wink