Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My Rig should be good enough, but it's not whats the problem anyone??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

kalanosh

I've searched and looked and I have tweaked and downloaded Extremedudes, vanilla and Ludes builds too, all 64-bit, and Ludes both 2.0 and 3.0. I have tried 6880 build vanilla too.

My rig seems to be similar or close to some people that have played Xenoblade and Windwaker. I have ripped the ISO so I am not booting from the DVD, but still I cannot get Xenoblade to run 30 FPS (with patch, or 25fps without) constant. I am still at the very first battle and its around 22-24fps. Windwaker is always about 24-26 in the first village.

Am I confused?? Missing something?
Please help, Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/MP2IG.png

Specs:

Athlon II X3 440 3.30 Ghz
GTX 560
4 GB Ram
I am using currently ExtremeDudes 3.0 682
AMD Athlon... Well, this the problem. You should overclock your CPU.

Concerning the settings:
* Uncheck "Disable Fog"
* Check "Disable Per-Pixel Depth"
* Your GPU should be able to handle 3x IR (1080p) -> Set your IR to 3x IR
* Uncheck 'Disable Fog' (causes glitches)
* Uncheck 'Lock Threads to Cores' (slight performance gain with AMD CPUs on Windows 7)
* Set the Audio Sample Rate to 48000 Hz (better sound quality, doesn't affect performance if using HLE)
* Uncheck 'OpenMP Texture Decoder' (waste of CPU resources, the default texture decoder is faster)
* Uncheck 'Fast Mipmaps' (prevents gliches, doesn't affect performance)
* Check 'Disable Per-Pixel Depth (faster)
* Set the Internal Resolution to 'Auto (Multiple of 640x528)'

then open the game properties page for XB and enable this option:
* Accurate VBeam Emulation
(only for XB, do NOT change this setting for GC games)

Finally, open the ZWW game properties, click on the 'Edit Config' button and delete these 3 lines:

Code:
EFBAccessEnable = True
EFBToTextureEnable = False
EFBCopyEnable = True

Quote:but still I cannot get Xenoblade to run 30 FPS (with patch, or 25fps without) constant. I am still at the very first battle and its around 22-24fps.

That's about the level of performance that I would expect from your cpu. My cpu barely pulls 30 fps during those scenes and your cpu should be about 25% slower than mine as far as dolphin is concerned.

As for WW you need to enable efb copy to texture. Which kirbypuff posted how to do: "Finally, open the ZWW game properties, click on the 'Edit Config' button and delete these 3 lines"

Quote:* Uncheck 'Lock Threads to Cores' (this option is only for Intel CPUs with HT or the latest AMD Bulldozer FX CPUs)
Quote:* Set the Audio Sample Rate to 48000 Hz (no resampling by the OS = uses less CPU)
Quote:* Check 'Disable Per-Pixel Depth (faster)

None of these things will affect his performance in any significant way.

Quote:* Uncheck 'Lock Threads to Cores' (this option is only for Intel CPUs with HT or the latest AMD Bulldozer FX CPUs)

No it's not. In fact I have no idea where you got that crazy idea from. This option used to have problems with HT and CMT, the problems where fixed by the developers. But that doesn't mean that this option was designed for cpus with HT or CMT. Depending on the OS you might gain or lose a tiny bit of performance (1-3%) with this option.

Quote:* Set the Audio Sample Rate to 48000 Hz (no resampling by the OS = uses less CPU)

*facepalm*
Oh brother......I'm not even going to bother explaining what's wrong with this statement.

Quote:* Check 'Disable Per-Pixel Depth (faster)

That will cause the flickering waves problem in WW.

Quote:* Set the Internal Resolution to 'Auto (Multiple of 640x528)'

Why? Frankly with that graphics card he should just go ahead and set the IR to 4x.
(06-01-2012, 12:55 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:* Set the Internal Resolution to 'Auto (Multiple of 640x528)'

Why? Frankly with that graphics card he should just go ahead and set the IR to 4x.

Because higher IR multi = more overhead (slightly higher CPU usage as well).
Try 4xIR with SMG or that demanding island overview scene in ZWW.

Higher IR settings also introduce stronger 'bloom offset' artifacts / more blur.

Auto (Multiple of 640x528) is a 'balanced' setting. High IQ with moderate overhead and minimum glitches.

Quote:* Uncheck 'Lock Threads to Cores'
* Set the Audio Sample Rate to 48000 Hz)

edited / updated previous post with a better description
kirbypuff Wrote:then open the game properties page for XB and enable this option:
* Accurate VBeam Emulation
(only for XB, do NOT change this setting for GC games)

That depends. Some GC games seem to benefit from accurate VBeam emulation. Skies of Arcadia and Mario Power Tennis come to mind. Both need LLE audio to get decent sound, and neobrain said this setting looks like it's messing with DMA timings. The results I've personally seen are drops in FPS occur normally, but the reported game-speed remains at or near full-speed, at least according to Dolphin. In my case, it allows smooth audio when it would normally stutter.

kalanosh

Wow some great advice. It's good to know that where it should sit, thanks Natural Violence. You are right about the internal resolution, I doesn't seem to affect performance wise at higher levels. I can only assume the texture scaling is done by my video card. I guess my cpu is the bottleneck. So sad, thanks guys!
Quote:Because higher IR multi = more overhead (slightly higher CPU usage as well).

That's BS and you should know better by now.

Quote:Try 4xIR with SMG for example. Or that demanding island overview scene in ZWW.

I have. Both WW and SMG2 run at the exact same speed on 4x IR and 3x IR with the exact same cpu load for me, including the island overview. And his gpu is about 50% faster than mine.

If the game is bottlenecked by the cpu thread and efb copy to ram is off then logically the IR shouldn't impact performance at all. And sure enough, it doesn't.

Quote:Auto (Multiple of 640x528) is a 'balanced' setting. High IQ with moderate overhead and minimum glitches.

How have you managed to determine a universally "balanced" IR setting when there are many different displays, gpus, cpus, etc. in use by different users?

Quote:I can only assume the texture scaling is done by my video card.

What exactly do you mean by this? Surely you realize that the IR setting doesn't upscale anything right?
Quote:How have you managed to determine a universally "balanced" IR setting?

Higher IR (higher than your display resolution) isn't always better. The bloom offset / blur artifacts at 4xIR are unbearable.
So are you suggesting that because a few games have bloom offset issues in some places he should lower his IR and experience lower image quality for no performance gain? Not to mention the bloom offset is still going to be pretty bad with 2x IR or 3x IR, lowering the IR isn't going to fix it it's just going to make it slightly less severe.

I assume that by "blur artifacts" you're talking about are DoF filters used in some games? Which actually looks a lot better at higher IR.
Pages: 1 2