Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How will this rig fare?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I'm currently building a new pc and just found out I could even emulate WII and Gamecube games which I think is pretty awesome. Smile

I was just wondering how well I could run certain games. Let's say for example Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess.

This wil gonna be my rig:

Case: NZXT Phantom
CPU: I5 3570K (with stock cooler)
MOBO: Asrock Extreme4
GPU: Asus GTX 670
RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance

How well could these games be run graphics wise?
For example: Is 4x IR, 4xAA, 16xAF at 1080p a reasonable option?

Also how well does my cpu fare? Can I run them at full speed or should I try to overclock. If so, would it be safe overclocking just a little bit with a stock cooler (without raising the voltage)?

Thanks for your time! Cool
CPU = All games would run nearly at fullspeed, if you overclock it to 4.2Ghz
GPU = 4x IR, 16x AF should be no problem - But i'm not sure with AA
It will work just fine. You'll need to overclock for the most demanding games such as SMG 1&2
Enflame Wrote:Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess.
Twilight Princess will run at fullspeed.
Super Mario Galaxy requires LLE because it has audio issues (music stops, crashes, etc).
And because you'll have to use LLE, you're going to have to overclock that CPU a bit to keep your fullspeed.
To use LLE, you have to dump some files. Read how to do that here.

Enflame Wrote:For example: Is 4x IR, 4xAA, 16xAF at 1080p a reasonable option?
x4 IR is beyond 1080P.
The Wii runs most games at 640x528, if you multiply those by 4, you'll get a resolution of 2560x2112.
x3 is 1920x1584, which is a bit bigger than the standard 1080p.
If you want 1080p exactly, set your IR to Auto (Window Size) or Auto (Multiples of ...). (This will also reduce your GPU load)

As always, if you're having performance issues, first thing to turn off is AA, as that literally kills performance.

Enflame Wrote:Also how well does my cpu fare? Can I run them at full speed or should I try to overclock.
Your CPU is great for Dolphin. As said before, you should be able to run most games flawlessly. There are some exceptions though. Games like Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Story, etc, are very demanding. For these you'll have to overclock your CPU.

Enflame Wrote:If so, would it be safe overclocking just a little bit with a stock cooler (without raising the voltage)?
No, don't!
You should get a third-party cooler. They aren't very expensive ($20-$30).
These will allow you to overclock to 4.5GHz on air.
Make sure you keep a watch on your temps.

You have to raise your voltage accordingly. I suggest you look for some guides on the internet.
Don't put your voltage to a ridiculous value such as 1.5v. Try to get to 1.3xv max.
The lower the voltage, the lower the temperatures will be.

We also have a thread here on the forums, where one member, MaJoR, benchmarked his 3570K.
You could take a look at it to see/compare your results.

DefenderX Wrote:CPU = All games would run nearly at fullspeed, if you overclock it to 4.2Ghz
No, most will. You never have the guarantee that everything will run at fullspeed.

Thanks alot guys!
Perhaps I might just get an aftermarket cooler en try to overclock it a bit.
I think I'll be happy with this system Smile

-Enflame
Quote:No, most will. You never have the guarantee that everything will run at fullspeed.

Eg one Call of Duty game which was made compatible enough to boot fairly recently still needs way over 7GHz of Ivy Bridge to go at 100%, and that's only in theory, as the maximum multiplier is 63x, giving 6.3GHz, so even with LN2 cooling, no one could attempt it.
Quote:No, most will. You never have the guarantee that everything will run at fullspeed.

this CoD game is an exception and it doesn't count for meWink

But you still have to acknowledge its existence. What if this guy went out and bought it after reading your statement? What if it then turned out that he also lived in Germany, and in fact the house next to yours. Then you'd end up with a cross neighbour who would no longer invite you to barbecues. How would that feel?
(05-31-2012, 01:56 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Eg one Call of Duty game which was made compatible enough to boot fairly recently still needs way over 7GHz of Ivy Bridge to go at 100%

If you're talking about Call of Duty 2 Big Red One where did you see the game was now working?
I thought it was in something that you'd typed somewhere. Was I wrong?
Pages: 1 2