Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: just got a top of the line laptop; can dolphin run on it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

atlus24

i'm looking to run games like the zeldas, mario galaxy and xenoblade chronicles

specs:
CPU Intel i7 2720QM @ 2.20GHz
8 Gigs RAM
GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 540M
Win7 64-Bit

i'd like to run these games at full speed, will this be possible?
i ordered this laptop online so it's not here yet, that's why i haven't tested it myself already.
Mario Galaxy: No fullspeed, maybe 80% speed - SMG needs Core i5-2500k/3750k @4.4 GHz with LLE enabled to run @ fullspeed.
Xenoblade: Should be playable - I thin about 80-90% speed
Zelda Games: Yeah, maybe fullspeed.

Your GPU can handle an IR of 2.5x in most games, demanding games 2x IR.

atlus24

(05-29-2012, 06:31 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Mario Galaxy: No fullspeed, maybe 80% speed - SMG needs Core i5-2500k/3750k @4.4 GHz with LLE enabled to run @ fullspeed.
Xenoblade: Should be playable - I thin about 80-90% speed
Zelda Games: Yeah, maybe fullspeed.

Your GPU can handle an IR of 2.5x in most games, demanding games 2x IR.

i see
are there any tweaks on dolphin to get fullspeed on those that can't?
No. Your processor just can't get full speed in these games. That doesn't mean these games will be unplayable though Smile

atlus24

(05-29-2012, 06:45 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]No. Your processor just can't get full speed in these games. That doesn't mean these games will be unplayable though Smile

yeah, that's too bad, i kinda get the same speeds on my previous computer, i thought i was upgrading into something better
The CPU isn't bad, no, it's pretty good though. (for a notebook). But some games are demanding and need a high-end Desktop CPU.
His CPU is great. It's an i7. It has nothing to do with it being a laptop or Desktop.
The problem is that the i7 has a lot of cores running at 2.20ghz.
The i5's have less cores but a higher ghz speed per core usually.

Dolphin only makes use of TWO cores max I believe.

So even though the i7 has like 8 cores or whatever, you're really only getting like 4.4ghz of power, where as a i5 OC'd (3.0ghz per core) will give you like 6.0ghz of processing power.

BASICALLY, it's a problem with dolphin. Dolphin still needs to be made to make use of more cores.

Your computer will run any other game fine for example. Like Skyrim, etc, cause it makes use of all the cores.
Quote:His CPU is great. It's an i7.

We didn't say his CPU wasn't "great" in the absolute. We said it wasn't "great" FOR Dolphin

Quote:It has nothing to do with it being a laptop or Desktop.

We didn't say such a thing

Quote:Dolphin only makes use of TWO cores max I believe.

Three if you use LLE

Quote:BASICALLY, it's a problem with dolphin. Dolphin still needs to be made to make use of more cores.

This has already been discussed in a lot of threads on the forum. You should read what devs replied to this

Quote:Your computer will run any other game fine for example. Like Skyrim, etc, cause it makes use of all the cores.

I agree. But this is a PC game so you can't compare
Also, if you do try and compare, I'll point out that Skyrim would run on a 2.0 GHz Pentium D, so it's a dim comparison to make. You could try video transcoding as something to say he could run fine.

Also 2x 3.0GHz isn't the same as 6.0GHz of processing power, as dolphin would run better on a single 6GHz madly OC'd core than on two 3.0GHz cores.
Quote:His CPU is great. It's an i7. It has nothing to do with it being a laptop or Desktop.

Laptop cpus are typically clocked a lot lower than desktop cpus and are much harder to OC. If he had a desktop i7 his performance would be much better.

Quote:The i5's have less cores but a higher ghz speed per core usually.

Ugh.....no. Typically both i5s and i7s are quad core cpus with similar clock rates. The usual difference it that i7s have HT and a bigger L3 cache.

The rest of your nonsense has been addressed by lordVader and AnyOldName3.