Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question i3 530 OC vs i3 2120
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i'm thinking about building my own pc right. And i've done some research on these two processors. However which will perform better in dolphin on the most demanding games (SMG2 (50+ FPS) Zelda SS, Metroid Prime, Xenoblade)

Lets say a core i3 530 @ ~4GHz vs a core i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz stock....

Also is the motherboard chipset of any use for dolphin, lets say a core i3 2120 on a z68 will perform better then a h61 chipset... is this false or true

I'm not planning on upgrading this build, i'll upgrade to haswell in 2013 and give this PC to my little brother.

thanks

also any relevant information

HD6750 1gddr5
h61 / h67 mobo...
430 watt corsair psu cxv430v2
The 2120 is much faster ofcourse.
But you won't be able to play SMG2 constantly at 50+ FPS with LLE.
Which Metroid Prime, GC or the one from Trilogy?

No, the motherboard won't have any effect on the CPU performance.

I would recommend you to look at an unlocked CPU and atleast a P67 motherboard (if you go for a SB).

Both CPU's have hyperthreading, which doesn't matter anyway.
Thanks for your reply, so basically ive read around in forums (tomshardware, yahoo answers and stuff) and basicly they say a i3 530 at 4ghz is faster, but i don't know if this also counts for dolphin.

As for the metroids, i'll be looking at the wii trilogy ofcourse.

And will i be able to squeeze a 300~ extra megahertz with a h61 mobo?

Also if i turn off all the sound, will i get a constant 50+ fps on SMG2?

(looking to play it at 1080p)
Mohcine Wrote:And will i be able to squeeze a 300~ extra megahertz with a h61 mobo?
Yeah, you should be able to. But don't expect any huge performance boost though.

Mohcine Wrote:Also if i turn off all the sound, will i get a constant 50+ fps on SMG2?
You should be able to play it at 50+ FPS using HLE. But it has some audio issues. But atleast you'll get to hear some sounds/music.
You do need to use LLE for the Grand Star levels.

Mohcine Wrote:(looking to play it at 1080p)
You should be able to play at that resolution.
Is your monitor 1080p? If so, set the Internal Resolution to Window Size.
Otherwise try setting it to x3.
Fair enough, thanks for your reply. So u're saying i should choose the 2120 over the i3 540?

And yeah my monitor is 1920x1080.
Yeah, definetely get the i3-2120.
The i3 530 will outperform the i3 2120 (depending on how much you overclock it). But I would still recommend getting an i3 2120 just to have a more modern platform.