Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well does a i3 2120 run?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm on a budget right. A 2500k is good and all that but having to buy an aftermarket heatsink and a reliable nice VRM design mobo is a lot of extra money.

So how well would a i3 2120 (3.3GHZ sandy bridge CPU) run games like metroid, super mario galaxy 2 and such.

I'm aiming at atleast 50fps+ in those games... Is this possible?

In case other specs are relevant

H67/H61 mobo
AMD HD 6750 GDDR5
PSU 430watt by corsair cx430 v2
4gb ram 1600 kingston hyperx

Thinking about running it at maxed settings at 1080p
Quote:I'm aiming at atleast 50fps+ in those games... Is this possible?

With HLE audio and efb copy to texture yes, with LLE audio and/or efb copy to ram no.

They should run at fullspeed nearly all the time if you use the right settings. Keep in mind that the thermal/x-ray visors won't work properly without efb copy to ram which will slow you down in some spots.
(05-26-2012, 05:38 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I'm aiming at atleast 50fps+ in those games... Is this possible?

With HLE audio and efb copy to texture yes, with LLE audio and/or efb copy to ram no.
Thanks for your reply,

So how much FPS difference we talking about here (i3 2120 vs i5 2500k)

Also what if i change the proc and go with a Amd Phenom X4 965 BE and oc it to lets say 4.2GHZ?

Will i get full speeds on lets say SMG 2 without sound stuttering?
No... AMD Phenom isn't better than an i3-2120 concerning Dolphin. The Phenom is even worse.
Quote:So how much FPS difference we talking about here (i3 2120 vs i5 2500k)

About 33% faster without overclocking. Up to 80% faster with overclocking (4.8GHz in this case, which is an extreme case, 4.5 Ghz would be a more realistic goal and that would provide about a 63% speedup).

At 4.0GHz a phenom II would slightly outperform the i3.
(05-26-2012, 08:36 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]At 4.0GHz a phenom II would slightly outperform the i3.
It's the opposite , i3 3.3Ghz will blow away Phenom II @ 4.2Ghz
A certain person i know , he has a Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.8Ghz . Pandora's Tower run laggy like hell on his system while the game perform very well on my i5 @ 2.93Ghz
I also test my e5300 @ 3.6Ghz but it ends up the same result as his CPU
@Op : Please buy Z68 mobo otherwise you won't able to upgrade CPU later
Six-core Phenom II CPUs perform worse in single or dual-threaded applications (emulators) than quad-core Phenom II CPUs.

Single-threaded performance is better on the X4 (demanding single-threaded emulators such as bsnes run slower on the X6)

Something to do with the imperfect TurboCore implementation and 2 more cores sharing the same amount of L3 cache.

Quote:It's the opposite , i3 3.3Ghz will blow away Phenom II @ 4.2Ghz
A certain person i know , he has a Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.8Ghz . Pandora's Tower run laggy like hell on his system while the game perform very well on my i5 @ 2.93Ghz
I also test my e5300 @ 3.6Ghz but it ends up the same result as his CPU

Until I see it for myself I am skeptical. The most sandy bridge ever beats phenom II by in any IPC test is 50%. In dolphin it's 30-40% at the most. In order for an i3 at 3.3GHz to beat a phenom II at 4.0GHz (since it's quad core dolphin gains about an extra 10% in performance increase) the i3 would have to have a 50% higher IPC. Which is nearly impossible since that's right at the edge of the highest IPC difference possible between the two microarchiotectures.

Maybe if the phenom II was running on AM2+ instead of AM3 I might believe it.

Quote:Six-core Phenom II CPUs perform worse in single or dual-threaded applications (emulators) than quad-core Phenom II CPUs.

Single-threaded performance is better on the X4 (demanding single-threaded emulators such as bsnes run slower on the X6)

Something to do with the imperfect TurboCore implementation and 2 more cores sharing the same amount of L3 cache.

It has nothing to do with turbocore or L3 cache use. Even with turbocore active the X4 are still clocked higher than the X6. That's enough to give them a slight lead in most applications.