Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I am looking to run Wii Discs on my PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

SingingThroughTheStorm

So I am looking to emulate the Wii on my PC. I have owned numerous Wii consoles, but I no longer (and haven't for a while) own one. I was okay with not owning one until a buddy kept saying how I needed to play some various Wii games.

So I own a gaming PC and I am looking to run LEGIT Wii discs off of a disc drive. I don't want to resort to pirating the games, and I know I need a somewhat rare disc drive to play the games.

My main question is what is the cheapest Disc drive that can read Wii games? These drives are capable of reading the games, right?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/18071424629...si=y&cbt=y

I would like to rip most of the newer games (SMG 1 and 2 and Zelda SS).
Amazon has some great prices one these drives: http://www.amazon.com/LG-GDR-8164B-16x-D...00EUJPV6/2
How are you planning to hook these up? I believe these are IDE drives, so you either need an IDE on your mobo or an adapter.
Most motherboards still have one IDE connector available. And even if it's not, PCIe or PCI IDE controllers are cheap, i even bought one with 2xIDE and 4xSATA connectors with full hardware RAID support.
But i won't recommend running games directly from DVD because it will add more lags and stuttering. And even worse - some driver have spindown timer set in firmware with no ways to prevent that spindown, and if game loads a portion of data and then stop reading disc for 30 seconds or so it will cause a pause when game will try to load more data. So it's better to buy that drive, dump game to HDD and run from menu, you can even compress iso to gcz to save space.
There's also the issue that dolphin can't boot from real wii disks, and this guy is getting confused with PCSX2. Rawdump can only be used to dump .isos from a wii disk.

SingingThroughTheStorm

(05-27-2012, 06:14 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]There's also the issue that dolphin can't boot from real wii disks, and this guy is getting confused with PCSX2. Rawdump can only be used to dump .isos from a wii disk.

I am not confused. I want to rip the Wii disc as an .iso to my Hard Drive and boot from my hard drive. Amazon has those drives brand new for around $21 after shipping, so I will probably jump on one of those in the future.

My motherboard does not have an IDE connector, but I intended to purchase an IDE to Sata board (or an IDE PCI Slot). My computer is a recent Sandy Bridge build using an H61 board, so IDE isn't likely anyways that many new boards have it.

SingingThroughTheStorm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...130wt_1396

This also seems like a pretty good option.
The price of using an internal IDE burner, then buying a PATA to Sata convert that might not even work is around $30.

$40 to avoid the mess of those cables in my PC case and the time required to install might be worth the extra $10.
Quote:I am not confused.

But ShadowFlash was, and that was the point of me correcting him.