Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Running NTSC in eurgb60 mode question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does checking/unchecking eurgb60 change the maximum vps limit? If I uncheck it, that means the maximum fps the game needs to run at full speed is 50, correct? I'm playing Mario Galaxy 2 NTSC, if I uncheck eurgb60, will the max frame rate needed to run full speed change to 50 even though it's NTSC? In a PAL game I have, it always has the VPS really high while the FPS is really low, in an NTSC game it always matches the frame rate.

TLDR; what should I look for to see if a game is running full speed?

Also, can I simply change the framelimit to 30 and have the game run at full speed? Running a PAL game with erugb60 off, FPS at 30 and VPS at 60, is this full speed? Or an NTSC game at 50 FPS with 50 VPS and eurgb60 disabled off full speed?

Eurgb60 Mode shouldn't affect NTSC-U games, as far as I know. I haven't tested it, as I only own one PAL game, the rest are NTSC-U. PAL games run at 25 and 50 FPS, NTSC-U games run at 30 or 60 FPS by default, and I think the Eurgb60 option simply allows some PAL games to run at 60 FPS. I'm not sure if it raises the game speed too or what it does to PAL games that natively run at 25 FPS (raises to 30? can't confirm this myself). Regardless, NTSC-U games should run as usual. If you want to see what the game speed is, run Dolphin in windowed mode and look at the bottom of the window, or check out the title bar. The % indicates emulated game speed. 100% is normal full-speed.

Most console games have their game speed directly tied to the FPS. A game designed to run at 60 FPS will run half-speed when the framelimit is set to 30. It'll run twice as fast if the FPS reaches 120. A PAL game designed to run at 25 FPS will run slightly faster than full-speed if you simply set the framelimit to 30. Unlike many PC games, consoles don't tend to use frame independent motion, so you often can't change the FPS without affecting the game speed.
Quote:I'm not sure if it raises the game speed too or what it does to PAL games that natively run at 25 FPS (raises to 30? can't confirm this myself).

A European Wii has this option, and every Wii game I've looked at has a little symbol on the back saying it can run at 50Hz or 60Hz. I run my Wii at 50Hz, as the picture quality is marginally better (although obviously at fewer FPS), and dolphin at 60, as there's no composite/phono analogue 480i/520p mess. I think if there were any locked to 50FPS Wii games, the real Wii would switch modes, so I'm assuming that if that's the case, Dolphin would emulate it.
(05-24-2012, 10:42 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Eurgb60 Mode shouldn't affect NTSC-U games, as far as I know.

It most definitely does, but i'm not sure how, exactly.
(05-26-2012, 07:21 PM)gjfklhg Wrote: [ -> ]It most definitely does, but i'm not sure how, exactly.

It most definitely does, but you can't say how it does in any capacity (e.g. affects frame rate, audio/video timings, game speed etc)? You haven't hinted at any aspect that EURGB60 will change in NTSC-U games, so I'm still suspect that this setting would affect them. From what I gather, the EURGB60 should only apply to Wii games, and it hasn't made any observable differences in my WiiWare titles.

Looking at the code itself, VideoManager.cpp, lines 720-756, it seems that only PAL games change their target field rate. With PAL-M, it's set to NTSC (60), while regular PAL games set it to 50. NTSC games continue to use the NTSC field rate. If Dolphin doesn't check the region of the game when setting EURGB60, it might set the format of an NTSC game to PAL-M which probably would affect the NTSC game (changing line counts, other stuff), but unless a real Wii does this, it'd probably be a bug. Perhaps a dev would be so helpful as to clear all of this up.
Changing the setting will desync movies. That wouldn't happen if it didn't do anything. So yes, i know for certain that it does something, but have no idea what.
(05-27-2012, 02:26 AM)gjfklhg Wrote: [ -> ]Changing the setting will desync movies. That wouldn't happen if it didn't do anything. So yes, i know for certain that it does something, but have no idea what.

Which games are you playing? I just wrote some code to double check the game's format in VideoInterface.cpp. Doesn't look like Dolphin is recognizing NTSC-U games as PAL-M when EURGB60 is set, so if EURGB60 is messing with anything, it's not in that part of the Dolphin. I'll probably have another look later to see where is it might be doing something.
It definitely affects new super mario bros wii. I have not tested any other games