Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New GPU & no increased performance!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Am I expecting too much or do I need to upgrade other things before I see any improvement..?

Coolermaster CM690 Dominator
GA-X58A-UD5 mobo
i7 920 (3.8GHz OC)
Nvidia GTX 670 Windforce 3x (upgraded from a Radeon HD 5870)
6GB Kingston DDR3
Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler
XFX Pro 750w PSU
That's a common misconception that is posted here everyday several times a day. Your GPU allows you to turn up the graphic settings without losing any speed, your CPU is what matters most for overall game speed. Your HD5870 was more than enough for most of Dolphin's graphic enhancements, you didn't need to upgrade.
(05-23-2012, 07:44 AM)miseryguts Wrote: [ -> ]Am I expecting too much or do I need to upgrade other things before I see any improvement..?

You'll need to upgrade "other things," read: your CPU. Most likely, your GPU wasn't the bottleneck for the settings you used on Dolphin. Once your GPU satisfies everything it can add concerning Dolphin's performance, the rest is up to your other components, and Dolphin relies a lot on the CPU as one of them.

Out of curiosity, what games have you played on what graphical settings?

[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what games have you played on what graphical settings?

[/quote]

These are some of my games I play on Dolphin x64 v3.0-635 Direct3D9 (3D11 performance is dreadful for me) 3x Native, no AA, 16x AF.. I reduce/increase the settings depending on how the game is performing..

Okami
LOZ Skyward Sword
Kirby's Epic Yarn
LOZ Twilight Princess
F-Zero GX
Ikaruga
The Last Story
Sonic Colors
Luigi's Mansion
Sin & Punishment 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Xenoblade Chronicles

In general, an i5-2500K/3750K OCed to 4.4/4.5GHz will handle most games at full-speed, LLE audio included. Some games, like the infamous SMG games or Xenoblade, won't run full-speed all of the time, but enough where the drops probably won't bother you. Everything else usually won't even be a challenge. For more info, drop by the Dolphin Wiki to get an idea of how certain specs handle with the games you listed.
(05-23-2012, 08:46 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]In general, an i5-2500K/3750K OCed to 4.4/4.5GHz will handle most games at full-speed, LLE audio included. Some games, like the infamous SMG games or Xenoblade, won't run full-speed all of the time, but enough where the drops probably won't bother you. Everything else usually won't even be a challenge. For more info, drop by the Dolphin Wiki to get an idea of how certain specs handle with the games you listed.

xenoblade runs with 3.8Ghz most of the time... HLE Hack builds...
(05-23-2012, 08:13 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]xenoblade runs with 3.8Ghz most of the time... HLE Hack builds...

3.8GHz with LLE or HLE audio? HLE I wouldn't imagine being an issue for Xenoblade, just like 3.8GHz should do alright for SMG with HLE. I've heard that LLE is a different story for either game. I have Xenoblade, but I'm currently playing it on the Wii first before a second-playthrough on Dolphin, so I'm not testing it right now and I don't know exactly know its demands.
He said HLE.
(05-24-2012, 04:55 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]He said HLE.

More accurately, dannzen said "HLE Hack builds", which only really tells me he used those specific builds. It's entirely possible he used the HLE Hack Builds but chose to set LLE audio for whatever reason (unless it's impossible to use LLE on these builds, haven't used them myself at all). I could always assume he meant HLE, but I'm not too big on assumptions (at least, not my own :p).