Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin performance on my future pc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys, first post Big Grin.

I actually just made this account just to ask this.

I'm curious if i will be able to run dolphin at "good" if not "decent" fps with my future build (which i'll just finish the next month if everything goes right).

I'll be using:

Pentium G850 SB at 2.9 GHZ
Asus EAH6850 1gb DDR5

And that's all that matters for dolphin right?

Of course i can always tone it down with the config and gpu configs, but i just want to play games like:

-All Zeldas (WW,TP,SS)
-Xenoblade
-MH
-Some GC classics
-SMBB

And nothing more... i'm building this pc for other PC games like D3, BF3, SC2 and stuff.

But i really want to play some GC games again and if possible, some wii games.

But im curious if i would be able to do so mainly because of my processor.

So.. what do you guys think?

gracias
With the G850, you should be able to play Wind Waker and Brawl very well.
Twilight Princess, should run very well, with the exception of Hyrule Field, where you will probably drop a few FPS.
Skyward Sword should run good, with slowdowns in busy areas.
Monster Hunter, as long as there arn't 7-8 minions and 1 boss on screen, you should be able to play it at fullspeed.
As for your classics, check out the Wiki (see sig). If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Though, if you wish for the best Dolphin experience, I would recommend you to consider the 2500K.
Thanks for the reply !

Do you happen to know if there's like A LOT of difference between G850 and a i3-2100/i3-2120?

Everything else i'm like 100% sure exept for the CPU.. Prices in my country happen to be like 2x the prices in the USA for computer parts.. so jumping from G850 to an i3-2100 there's an equivalent of $40-50 dllrs.

But if there's like a big boost in performance i would consider getting the i3. i5-2500k is waay out of my league at the moment Sad.

Thanks!

Quote:Do you happen to know if there's like A LOT of difference between G850 and a i3-2100/i3-2120?8

Well, in my opinion, there IS a performance boost. But i don't know, how big it will be Wink Besides, you could overlock the i3-21XX via the BCLK (if you want) and so you could gain about 100 MHz more.
Is it a $40-50 dllrs boost? xD

Getting the i3 would delay my build for like another month...or not eating for like 5 days in a row.. but that's how budget gaming is, isn't it? Big Grin.

Also.. sorry for posting in wrong section.. Semantics (support/hardware) and poor english, that's my excuse .. not the first time i get a thread moved... again my bad Sad.
Lol, eat normally.
Would you rather play a game with 80~90% speed (or heavier games: 60~70%), or nearly every game at 100%?
With the ability to overclock (with the 2500K), you're able to run the heavy games at fullspeed with dips here and there depending on your overclock ofcourse.

Btw, you can't overclock the G850. You can only raise the BCLK as Defender mentioned. But that'll only yield in a 100~200MHz boost, which'll only give you an FPS or two more.
Where are you from and intending to purchase your stuff from?
It's 2.9Ghz vs 3.1Ghz and no HT(Hyper Threading) - 2 cores 2 threads vs HT - 2 cores 4 threads
Ht doesn't work with dolphin
G850 vs i3 2100 : Hard to tell the difference , i3 cost more buck...
G850 vs i3 2120 : Big difference (2.9 vs 3.3Ghz) . IMO , you should buy Z68 mobo + Pentium Sandy Bridge (G850 or G860) since you don't have enough money for the i5 . You can upgrade to ivy bridge like i5 3750k later (the i5 3750k's price will drop next year)
I'm from México, so no newegg.com or amazon.com for me.

There isn't really a mexican "newegg", i mean there are some websites that sell computer parts, but their inventory is like 10% of newegg's or amazon. I'm almost 100% sure the G850 im planning to buy is like the only one (only piece) that is available online in Mexico ATM.

So there is not a lot of products to choose from, and prices are like 30-40% higher than in the USA, so moving to the "next tier" is quite the big jump $wise.

Obviously if i lived in the USA i think i wouldn't even made this post, with the money i'll spend here on a G850 i could get the best i3 or save just a little bit more and get the 2500k. USA prices es king.

Unfortunately i don't live in the USA, and gaming culture ain't that popular here, so variety is almost 0.

For example, on the mexican brother of ebay:

Cheapest i5-2500k from a trusted seller (this is important.. lots of fraud): $369 USD + shipping
Newegg i5-2500k $219 + shipping

Cheapest G850 trusted seller: $150 dllrs + Shipping
Newegg i3-2120: $129 and extra DVD burner.

Thank you guys for your help!

(05-21-2012, 10:17 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]It's 2.9Ghz vs 3.1Ghz and no HT(Hyper Threading) - 2 cores 2 threads vs HT - 2 cores 4 threads
Ht doesn't work with dolphin
G850 vs i3 2100 : Hard to tell the difference , i3 cost more buck...
G850 vs i3 2120 : Big difference (2.9 vs 3.3Ghz) . IMO , you should buy Z68 mobo + Pentium Sandy Bridge (G850 or G860) since you don't have enough money for the i5 . You can upgrade to ivy bridge like i5 3750k later (the i5 3750k's price will drop next year)

You do have a point here.. i was planing on getting the B75 chipset (bc g850) but that would leave no room for OC future CPU.. now my head is spinning faster.. thanks! xD