Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Maximizing FPS support/help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ilovedolphins

Hi, I run a 13' i7 2011 Macbook using bootcamp to run Windows 64 bit. Unfortunately my graphics card isn't very good and I don't know much about video settings. It'd be appreciated if someone would guide me through what settings I should configure to optimize my FPS. I do not care about quality at all.

Here's the technical specs for my computer: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

Cheers!
Quote:Currently, we have been closing threads that did not follow the rules about creating a proper thread, like not providing PC specs, game name, settings and all of the information that is needed in a thread from a person asking for help.

Post your settings first. What games have you tried so far (or want to play) and what speeds did you get? Also, post your settings.

ilovedolphins

(05-17-2012, 11:55 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Currently, we have been closing threads that did not follow the rules about creating a proper thread, like not providing PC specs, game name, settings and all of the information that is needed in a thread from a person asking for help.

Post your settings first. What games have you tried so far (or want to play) and what speeds did you get? Also, post your settings.

My bad. The only game I want to run is Mario Kart Wii. I'm using the most recent version of Dolphin and its settings are left intact (default). I just did a quick test run on it and I was getting around 30FPS of 60. I wonder if it's possible to get 50-60FPS with this computer.

Video backend is set to Direct3D9. Which is more preferable; that or OpenGL? I noticed you can change the internal resolution... which I think will help loads. If I'm getting this correct... if it's set to "Auto, Window Size", and I shrink it down to a small... 320x240 box... the internal resolution will be 320x240?
The Intel IGP is too slow, sry

Try with 320x240 and then make the window bigger until you notice the fps is going down
Yes, setting the IR to Auto (Window Size) and resizing your window to something like 320x240 gives you like 0.5x IR. This helps if your GPU is limiting your hardware, but the Intel HD 3000 should be enough for 1x IR, in some games at least. Play with 1x IR and note the FPS. Then do the same with 0.5x IR with a shrunken window. If the FPS remain the same in both cases, your GPU is not then issue, at least not at those graphical settings. That means the rest is on your CPU.

Looking at the Dolphin Wiki for MK Wii, your performance lines up with other similar specs. Aside from overclocking (probably not possible on Mac hardware, dunno for sure) you can try unofficial optimized builds from people like DefenderX and Lectrode. It might give you a speed up, but your mileage may vary. It won't hurt to try though.