Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: an idea about playing with higher fps...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure if this would ever be possible, I just thought i'd put it out there.

If you limit a game to a higher amount of fps, say double intended. 120 or 60... then make some kind of hack to slow the game down, people with higher refresh rates would have a nice smooth image. I'm at 95hz, and tried some games at 95hz. So smooth, but obviously sped up.

Again... not sure if this would be possible somehow, and if anybody knows any reason why this would or wouldn't work, I would like to know.

You'd have to make each hack for each game. No one wants that amount of work, so unless you'll volunteer...

Either way, I doubt it would do anything. You'd get exactly the same results. Plus, many people struggle to get games running at their intended FPS. Doubling requirements would make it impossible to play previously playable games, even with the best liquid nitrogen cooled overclocked Ivy Bridge CPU.
Quote:Again... not sure if this would be possible somehow, and if anybody knows any reason why this would or wouldn't work, I would like to know.

This wouldn't work because we're emulating video games. Unfortunately the magic powers that our developers use are limited to improving dolphin and not redesigning the games.
That isn't redesigning games, it would just be a hack that slows the game down to compensate for the higher fps...

I think that if it is possible, and req doing it for individual games. At least all the best games could be done.
No, it's redesigning games. These games run at the speed they run at. If you want them faster, get better hardware. If you want them slower, put on a framelimiter or downgrade hardware. If you want them at the same speed, then what is your problem? There are no problems with flickering at 60FPS for anyone else.
(05-17-2012, 03:01 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]No, it's redesigning games. These games run at the speed they run at. If you want them faster, get better hardware. If you want them slower, put on a framelimiter or downgrade hardware. If you want them at the same speed, then what is your problem? There are no problems with flickering at 60FPS for anyone else.

Flickering? I didn't say anything about flickering. I'm perfectly fine with it being at 60fps. If you are running it at a higher fps though, the image is much smoother, despite it being sped up. That is why I am saying if you could make a hack to slow a game down and still be running at a higher fps, you would have a much smoother image.

I am probably not thinking this through right though, since you're making sense about it going back to the same speed. I just thought I would bring it up, since I really like how smooth it looked at higher fps. If someone could make a hack though, it wouldn't be one to cut fps down, it would just be to slow the game down. So I guess you could say that it is redesigning to an extent.

Basically it would be a slow-mo hack to balance the extra speed.
I see how it could work... with a PC game. Wii games are tied to FPS. If you acquired the complete source code for a 30FPS game, though, you may be able to change it to run at 60FPS. That isn't saying that you'll do anything other than make it unplayable, though. 30FPS games are usually too demanding for 60FPS to be possible on the actual Wii.
The OP should check out some game programming concepts like frame rate independent motion. Just a short summarization, the game determines how far an object should move on-screen based on the current frame rate. That way if the FPS is 30, 60, or any other number, the game adapts how "fast" things are supposed to move. Most PC games do this, most console games probably do not.

In a game like Super Mario Sunshine, the game's logic says something like "move Mario 5 units on every frame when running," so if it's normal speed he moves the normal distance, but doubling that doubles the distance in the same time. That's what AnyOldName meant by redesigning games, you'd have to change that bit of the games logic to adapt to variable frame rates.
Quote:That isn't redesigning games, it would just be a hack that slows the game down to compensate for the higher fps...

I think that if it is possible, and req doing it for individual games. At least all the best games could be done.

Somehow I get the feeling that you don't know the first thing about game programming. Yet you feel confident that you are right and I am wrong despite the fact that you came here to ask if it was possible.

Dolphin emulates the hardware, it does not change the software. Whatever the software tells it to do, that's what it does. You cannot "slow down" a game as you put it without either lowering the hardware speed or redesigning the game. Shonumi has now provided a very clear example of why that is without delving into the details (thank you for that, you saved me valuable time).
(05-17-2012, 11:47 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Somehow I get the feeling that you don't know the first thing about game programming. Yet you feel confident that you are right and I am wrong despite the fact that you came here to ask if it was possible.

Dolphin emulates the hardware, it does not change the software. Whatever the software tells it to do, that's what it does. You cannot "slow down" a game as you put it without either lowering the hardware speed or redesigning the game. Shonumi has now provided a very clear example of why that is without delving into the details (thank you for that, you saved me valuable time).

I don't feel confident, I was just saying how I am thinking. I wasn't trying to come across as rude or anything, and I wasn't saying anybody was wrong... I don't know about programming, but understand why it wouldn't work now.
Pages: 1 2