Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Your pc and how you are getting on with it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, Big Grin

i wanted to exchange experiences with you concerning your computers performance.

my system:

CPU: AMD FX 8120
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7850
4GB RAM
970A-UD3 Gigabyte motherboard

i set
4x AA
16x AF
and 1920x1584 resolution.

(i didnt overclock yet!)

i played super mario sunshine (gamecube) with that, and it worked, yeah, with 100% speed and constantly 25 fps.
it wasnt that bad, more than playable, 25 fps are still enough.

maybe here are some guys who have similar powerful pc than me,(e.g. with intel core i2500k).

do you get better results?

besides that, not only for dolphin but for all games, how do you increase your pc's performance (of course not buying new hardware Wink) when all drivers are installed, do you know some good software which increases cpu's or gpu's performance?
Quote:besides that, not only for dolphin but for all games, how do you increase your pc's performance (of course not buying new hardware ) when all drivers are installed, do you know some good software which increases cpu's or gpu's performance?

Overclocking? Software is not needed. (expcept for the GPU - MSI Afterburner)
Sorry but that CPU perform not even close to Phenom II . Dolphin only use 2 cores !!!
The gap between i5 and that CPU like heaven and hell
Super Mario Sunshine is a very "light" game , it run 30 FPS (EFB copy to Ram) on my laptop without any lag , slowdown
Specs are in my signature, and I've been playing Dolphin ever since mid-January. So far so good with my stock i5-2500K. I plan to OC it later, sometime this summer once I get some other things sorted first. Been playing mostly GC games, but it's mostly full-speed for me. I play with 4X AA, auto IR, 16 AF, OpenGL, ect. Only experienced slight, infrequent drops with a couple of LLE games, like Tales of Symphonia.

Most demanding game I tried was Metoid Prime with LLE. It's been a while since I messed with it, but the speeds were really decent. Drops here and there to like 40, but it kept up in the 50~60 range for other parts? I'm just going off of my memory though, I'll have to confirm this with a more thorough play-though. Wink

For optimal performance, I usually try to compile the programs myself whenever possible, making sure to add any optimizations. I think it helped with Dolphin, specifically ToS and LLE. It made a noticeable difference with Desmume, at least on my laptop. Other than that, I just mess with some of the settings, e.g. AOSound perfoms a lot better than either ALSA or OpenAL with ToS on my system. Besides, it's fun to experiment.
(05-11-2012, 04:15 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry but that CPU perform not even close to Phenom II . Dolphin only use 2 cores !!!
The gap between i5 and that CPU like heaven and hell
Super Mario Sunshine is a very "light" game , it run 30 FPS (EFB copy to Ram) on my laptop without any lag , slowdown
Huh sorry but i5 isnt stronger than my cpu..its not like that a cpu with 4 cores is twice better in dolphin than a cpu with 8 cores...........

and mario sunshine a "light game?" ok..
Nope, closer to three times, and no, I'm not trolling. When you use 2 cores, 4 good cores beat 8 pieces of silicon, which, according to only AMD, can be described as cores.
(05-11-2012, 06:22 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, closer to three times, and no, I'm not trolling. When you use 2 cores, 4 good cores beat 8 pieces of silicon, which, according to only AMD, can be described as cores.
ok. you want to say, with a 2500k i could run dolphin with higher settings?

@shonumi: what do you mean with 40-50 range? fps or speed?
(05-11-2012, 06:31 AM)ESChinski Wrote: [ -> ]ok. you want to say, with a 2500k i could run dolphin with higher settings?

@shonumi: what do you mean with 40-50 range? fps or speed?

40 FPS low, average 50~60 FPS. In terms of speed, it's a low of 66% every now and again, but mostly 80~100%. Like I said, I haven't played it in a while, so my recollection might not be spot on. Big Grin

But yes, AMD's Bulldozer chips do horrible with Dolphin in comparison to Intel's Sandy and Ivy Bridge chips. A 2500K will handle most games at full-speed when properly OCed. By "higher settings", you mean graphical settings, like AA and IR? Well, that's on your GPU to handle. But it will help a lot with LLE audio, which is important for a handful of games atm.
just tried to run metroid prime..without overclocking i can forget that.

but then:

oc'ed from 3100 to 3400, and whooo, it runs with (16xAA, 4xAF) 80-100% speed and 40-50 fps constantly. and i can overclock much more than to 3400.

e: played it a bit further now, 90% of the time its 50/50/100% speed, rarely the fps drops to 40 or the speed to 80%.

im a bit surprised how effective this lil oc was Big Grin

e2: and sunshine with 50 fps now, too.

ill retain the frequence of 3400, its perfect
Specs are in my profile. Most games run at full speed with max AA/AF 4xIR, 2048x1536.
Pages: 1 2