Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Processor Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wonder how dual core makes GPU get de-synced. Is it why tri-core is not being made (because that would be beneficial to some people)
The Wii and Gamecube have 2 main cores, the CPU thread and the Video thread (not rendering). There are smaller chips too that handle input, DSP etc. but those two are the main ones. Putting 2 threads on 3 cores or more is very complicated, because the two thread would have to be synced perfectly to avoid a crash. Dual core was already hard enough, with its own problems, so tri-core would be almost impossible seeing that it doesn't lend itself to the design of the Wii/GC.
I get what you are trying to say but you worded that really badly.

Quote:The Wii and Gamecube have 2 main cores, the CPU thread and the GPU thread (not rendering).

1. Core != threads
2. The GPU is not a core
3. The GC/Wii doesn't have a GPU thread, that doesn't make any sense
4. The DSP is just as important and just as demanding (in fact more so) to emulate as the GPU

Quote:Putting 2 threads on 3 cores or more is very complicated, because the two thread would have to be synced perfectly to avoid a crash.

Assigning 2 threads to 3 logical cores is impossible. Each thread can only be mapped to one logical core at a time.

Quote:Dual core was already hard enough, with its own problems, so tri-core would be almost impossible seeing that it doesn't lend itself to the design of the Wii/GC.

But it does. And we already do it. DSP LLE on thread puts the LLE dsp emulator on its own thread. 70% load can be achieved on quad core cpus in audio heavy games.

Reworded using proper terminology:
Quote:The GC/Wii have three main processors; the cpu, the gpu, and the dsp. There are other chips too but those three are by far the most difficult to emulate. Having more than 3 threads for emulating the three processors is stupid.
And then God said: "Let there be brains" And NaturalViolence registered into the dolphin foruns.
Not that this particular information isnt widely spread here, I just felt like doing a joke :p