Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Display rendered resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Update: This has now been fixed: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-pat...ion?page=2
--------------------------------------------------------

Is this possible on newer versions of dolphin? Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about:

Here's a screenshot from revision 6430: (it's from october 2010)
http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/Dolphin%2...-49-34.png

Here's a screenshot from version 3.0: (same thing happens with v3.0 630)
http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/Dolphin%2...-26-81.png

In the first screenshot, it's very clear it's showing the exact resolution which is rendered (if you can't tell, zoom in). In the second screenshot, it looks like it's being scaled before displayed on screen. Is there a way to force it to always display it at the resolution it's rendering at? Some of the older versions do this, but the newer versions don't, and I don't know why.

The screenshots were taken with direct3d plugin, internal resolution x2 and with no AA settings applied.
Are you talking about the black bars?
If so, all you have to do is set the Aspect Ratio to Stretch to Window.
(05-06-2012, 09:30 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Are you talking about the black bars?
If so, all you have to do is set the Aspect Ratio to Stretch to Window.

I'm not talking about the black bars. Here's a zoomed in example:
http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/Dolphin%2...4-crop.png
http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/Dolphin%2...1-crop.png

First is from 6430, second is from v3.0. You can see that there's scaling involved. I wanna find a way to make it show the graphics at the resolution it's being rendered at.

Edit: I should note I'm running the PAL version of the game (choosing 60hz when the game starts). I'm not sure if that might be related.
Yeah, you took the screenshots in two different resolutions so it was a bit harder to spot.
Could you take em in with similar resolutions?

By the way, I can't see your zoomed in examples.

Getting a "Host Not Configured to Serve Web Traffic" error.
I'm actually not able to choose the exact same resolution. The resolution you choose in this old version include all the window stuff, while the new version don't (and in the new version you can't choose the specific resolution), so I'm not sure which numbers I'd need. Anyway, the resolution doesn't really matter. Whatever resolution I choose in this old version, I always get a normal look, while any resolution in this new version looks scaled. I really don't know what the cause is.
Edit: After fiddling a bit around, I've discovered it's the "auto adjust window size" check which is to blame. If that is unchecked and I have internal resolution set to "window size" then I get a clean output which isn't scaled.

Is this a bug? I thought the auto adjust would automatically adjust to the true resolution used for rendering, but based on my tests it's not actually doing that.
Quote:In the first screenshot, it's very clear it's showing the exact resolution which is rendered (if you can't tell, zoom in). In the second screenshot, it looks like it's being scaled before displayed on screen. Is there a way to force it to always display it at the resolution it's rendering at? Some of the older versions do this, but the newer versions don't, and I don't know why.

Nope. They're both being scaled. The only difference between them is the aspect ratio being used by the scaler. It's impossible to leave it completely unscaled.

Quote:First is from 6430, second is from v3.0. You can see that there's scaling involved.

Once again, they're both being scaled. The x resolution is being scaled slightly more in the second image.

Quote: I wanna find a way to make it show the graphics at the resolution it's being rendered at.

You can't. And trust me even if you could you wouldn't want to. GC/Wii games render at bizarre aspect ratios with bizarre FOV that would look odd if they weren't appropriately scaled (which the game does on the native hardware as well as dolphin).

Quote:After fiddling a bit around, I've discovered it's the "auto adjust window size" check which is to blame. If that is unchecked and I have internal resolution set to "window size" then I get a clean output which isn't scaled.

Setting the internal resolution to window size results in a fractional scale of the efb. Meaning the x resolution rendered by dolphin will be the same as the x resolution of the displayable region of the window. However the y resolution will still need to be downscaled slightly to correct the aspect ratio. Which you don't appear to be noticing.

I have no idea if auto adjust window size is working correctly since 3.0 is a very old revision at this point.
Are you completely sure the first screenshot is being scaled? Maybe most of the stuff I've learned about graphics is wrong, but I would think there would be some kind of side effect of it being scaled and I really can't see it.
The EFB resolution is 640 x 528. NTSC games scale that to 640 x 480 before output and PAL games scale it to 720 x 576. Some games get around this by ignoring the top and bottom 24 lines when performing an xfb copy but I doubt this is one of those games.

Quote:Maybe most of the stuff I've learned about graphics is wrong, but I would think there would be some kind of side effect of it being scaled and I really can't see it.

Depends on the scaling filter being used.