Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: athlon ii x3 425 @2.7ghz for free
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got for free an athlon ii x3 425 @2.7ghz stock. My current cpu is an intel core 2 duo slightly overclocked @2.8ghz (from 2.4)ghz. Should I get busy and change my mobo and cpu with the amd one? I know it's still crap for dolphin, but at least currently i'm able to play soul calibur 2 in hd in playable speed, even if there is a slight improvement it will be worth it. Smile
Thanks in advance people!
No, this would be a downgrade. Core2Duo is much more faster than AMD Athlon.
Thanks for the quick answer! ..bummer
you're welcome Wink
You could always use the athlon for pcsx2 via the MTVU hack. (Which uses a third core.)

Would be faster than C2D in that situation.

Or as an HTPC/Home Office PC.

Other than that, nah.
(05-06-2012, 07:06 AM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]You could always use the athlon for pcsx2 via the MTVU hack. (Which uses a third core.)

Would be faster than C2D in that situation.

Or as an HTPC/Home Office PC.

Other than that, nah.

interesting... i am missing a psu and a case and then i can get my athlon going. Thanks for the info. I'll try to run soul calibur iii on pcsx2 with the athlon, cause with my current cpu its not really playable.
I think that Athlon is better
E4600 is 65nm CPU !!! while that Athlon is 45nm CPU . However that Athlon has lower L2 cache
Manufacturing technology has nothing to do with specs/performance (at least not directly). Core 2 is a better microarchetecture than K11, even if it had less cache it would outperform the athlon II (unless it was an extremely small amount).
PCSX2 comparison
ok! Very interesting results. I got my second pc running. Unfortunately the only spare video card i have is an old 8500gt.
Pc1: intel core 2 duo 4600 @3ghz, 2 gb ram, ati radeon hd 5770.
Pc2: amd athlon ii x3 425 @3.8ghz (i am having some trouble overclocking it more, the mobo is pretty crappy), 4gb ram, nvidia 8500gt.

I run soul calibur 3 in both pc's, with the same pcsx2 configuration in native resolution. Pc1 gets an average of 25fps during gameplay, whereas Pc2 is above 40 fps at all times! mostly about 45fps. I guess the mtvu hack shows its teeth.
Of course if I raise the resolution to something like 1260x1260 the 5770 beats the crap out of the 8500gt. Pc1 then plays at about the same framerate, while pc2 drops to something like 15 fps.Tongue

edit:

I also did a comparison in dolphin. Since dolphin can only use 2 cores the core2duo outperformed the athlon ii x3.
That sounds about right.