Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to Dolphin, can someone explain what a "build" is?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed that a lot of people use the word "build" (or built, cant remember exactly) and I was wondering what was it exactly? Since im new on the emu and I'd really like to know what it is, also when someone say like "you should get the latest built" but then they post tons of them, how do I know which one is the latest?
FYI your looking for the 5th one Big Grin
With that said stick to the latest 'build' or the official 3.0 release
Quote:I've noticed that a lot of people use the word "build" and I was wondering what was it exactly?

Build= revision, commit... someone compiled his own "version" of Dolphin

Quote:how do I know which one is the latest?

Have a look to the DL page. The latest build is (often) the first you can find in the list
(04-29-2012, 09:22 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Build= revision, commit... someone compiled his own "version" of Dolphin
Build, revision and commit are three different words whose meaning doesn't have anything in common at all. Well, maybe revision and commit have a similar meaning, if anything.
Also, you don't "build a version", wtf man...
Quote:Also, you don't "build a version", wtf man...

Actually I must've used the wrong english word to qualify what I wanted to say. I should've said "personal" or any other one. Anyway I hope OP got it now Smile
Let's start with the basics. I hope you can understand:

The code that a processor can process is called machine code, which is in the form of 0111011011011111000...
Today, programmers do not write machine code because it is hard and slow. They use a programming languages instead.
Programming language is a human readable text, but the machine cannot understand and execute it.
For the machine to run their code, the programmers have to "compile" their code, which is written in a programming language, to transform it into machine code.
After making some changes to the project, the programmers "build" their project to get a working program. The working program mentioned earlier is call a "build". A build usually comes with a version number. For example: Dolphin 3.0-601, PCSX2 r1888. There are two types of version format, one is SVN (subversion) and the other is official version but for now, you only need to know that the bigger number, the later version. Got it?

Although I have been doing some coding for a while, I cannot tell "compile" from "build". If you ask me, I always use "compile" when I compile a single file, and "build" when I compile the whole project Big Grin.