Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 1090t,gpu or ram problem/upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hello I have gone through trying to overclock my 1090t and in doing so it hasent reely improved my performance enough with sertin games in dolphin and i still can not use this LLE for audio without significant perfomance loss. So im considering an upgrade unless my gpu or ram is the problem.but if i do need to upgrade im not sure what would be the best option.
would upgrading my gpu to a asus 7970 be better then gettin a new motherbord and switching to an intel cpu to get better performance with dolphin or is there a slight chance that my ram is the problem and i need to get better ram. the ram i have is not recomended for my system but it works. thanks
The only thing you can really do is get a better CPU
ok thats cool .do u have any recomnedations?
Has nothin to do with the RAM, dolphin is cpu based so just get a new motherboard with an intel cpu
what would be the best option motherbord and cpu wise? just the graphics card is around 400. can i get a motherbord and an intel that is better then my current cpu for cheaper or around that price?
Best setup would be:

* Z77/Z75 MoBo with Ivy Bridge i5-3750k + a decent GPU (Radeon HD 7XXX/6XXX series)
* or: P67/Z68 MoBo with Sandy Bridge i5-2500k + a decent GPU (Radeon HD 7XXX/6XXX series)
(04-28-2012, 01:48 AM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]Has nothin to do with the RAM, dolphin is cpu based so just get a new motherboard with an intel cpu

not entirely true

the bandwidth of the memory controller and host write/read to pci-e performance do affect dolphin performance when using efb copy to ram, since this function cannot be easily multithreaded it only has single threaded access across the dram channels which is usually limited to the bandwidth provided by a single stick.

so in that case Faster dram per channel provides an immediate improvement to games that require efb to ram
........Okay........
im going to look into switching to intel. gettin a new gpu will have to wait. my current ram is recomended for an intel system.so maybe it will do.
Quote:not entirely true

the bandwidth of the memory controller and host write/read to pci-e performance do affect dolphin performance when using efb copy to ram, since this function cannot be easily multithreaded it only has single threaded access across the dram channels which is usually limited to the bandwidth provided by a single stick.

so in that case Faster dram per channel provides an immediate improvement to games that require efb to ram

While you should be correct this has never actually been observed to make any significant difference in performance. A number of dolphin users have upgraded their ram to much higher frequencies without seeing even a 1% difference in gamespeed in any game with efb copy to ram. The same goes for pci-e 1.1 vs. 2.0 vs 3.0.
Pages: 1 2