Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Do levels involving vehicles crash Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found my 007: Nightfire disc and I'm in the process of converting it to an .iso file.
But I heard that levels involving vehicles crash the emulator. Is this true, because A LOT of the levels in this game involve vehicles... Sad
The game is playable but it may crash (played with Dolphin 3.0)
There is nothing definitive about games with vehicles or not. If the game happens to have issues, it may crash or not work, it it doesn't, it will work just fine. The game using vehicles is not a factor.
(04-22-2012, 07:45 AM)Jordan102197 Wrote: [ -> ]But I heard that levels involving vehicles crash the emulator. Is this true, because A LOT of the levels in this game involve vehicles... Sad

This should no longer be an issue, thanks to a FIFO fix (if I recall correctly) and then a recent JIT fix (both the CPU interpreter and JITIL didn't seem to suffer from this issue).
As a matter of fact, issue 4001 was marked as fixed, and a quick testing I made using the "official" 32-bit build of r3.0-362 (with JIT) didn't end in a crash.

(04-22-2012, 08:05 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing definitive about games with vehicles or not. If the game happens to have issues, it may crash or not work, it it doesn't, it will work just fine. The game using vehicles is not a factor.

Both the very first mission (which involves a sniping part and later a driving part) and another mission I had tried (which involves driving too) suffered from that kind of issue, which leads to thinking that all "driving" missions are affected (whereas other "on-foot" missions work fine). In this particular game, at least.

Another interesting thing that may POSSIBLY explain why "driving" missions seem to be buggier than "on-foot" missions (and thus, that they run on different engines (resulting in 2 different emulation scenarios)), is that the ISO partition (at least for my French dump) contains four ELF executables at the root (two of which are named "Nightfire.elf" and "driving.elf") and three folders named "driving", "common", and "gc". Who knows, that might explain why (from what I read) the PC release of this game didn't feature driving missions.