Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: breaking the 100% barrier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
In an effort to run a dedicated thread solely for sounds LLE I have done the following.

1) over clocked the heck out of my cpu.

Memory
[Image: mushkin.png]

cpu
[Image: cpz.png]

video, running the 280 gtx nvidia over clocked quite hi.

and I''m benching 4700 on FFXIVBenchmark with a very stable system ( air cooled but great temps )

2) played with every dolphin option I could
3) upgraded to a 64 bit os

As a result I'm running at 100% with HLE audio. Though when using LLE audio it jumps from 70 - 100 %.

Is this just not going to happen or am I missing something.

Don't even think about LLE until you have i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz
Any Sandy Bridge CPU @ 3Ghz (include Pentium Sandy Bridge) beat Phenom II @ 4.0Ghz
What game(s) are you playing? A Phenom II @ 4GHz will not be able to run every game at 100%. Even my i5-2500k @ 4.4 GHz struggles with some games (like The Last Story). You can run games faster with older revisions, but at the expense of accuracy, compatibility, and crashes. You can probably push your overclock a little more, but you'll never be able to reach 100% at all times.
ah, well that explains it. I previously was told as long as I can hold it at 100% LLE should work. Game in question is Zelda SS
(04-18-2012, 07:20 AM)ulao Wrote: [ -> ]I previously was told as long as I can hold it at 100% LLE should work.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple, as you found out. I wish it were though Big Grin More accurately, you shouldn't contemplate LLE audio if you can't get 100% in HLE (and you're aiming to play smoothly). Getting 100% in HLE is more like a self-check to see if you might be good for LLE, not a guarantee. In your case, you had 100% in HLE, but LLE turned out to be too much, and that happens to some people.

Well it was fun trying. HLE is missing a lot of audio I found out. LLE does work in simple game though Wink
As it turns our its really not that bad. Just the over world and skyward are slow. Every now and then I get a glitch but its quite playable. This is use the recompiler what it the interpreter for?
(04-20-2012, 01:43 PM)ulao Wrote: [ -> ]This is use the recompiler what it the interpreter for?

The interpreter is used to make the game go slow. :p Nah, I'm joking.

IIRC in emulation, CPU interpreters run the code one instruction at a time. I'm working on a GB emulator whenever I can find the spare time, and the Z80 CPU emulator is an interpreter as it takes in each instruction one-by-one. This webpage is a good read on the difference between interpretation and recompilation.
Quote:This is use the recompiler what it the interpreter for?

What you need to know:
Interpreter: slow, useful for debugging
Recompiler: fast, what you should be using

Quote:IIRC in emulation, CPU interpreters run the code one instruction at a time.

And so do recompilers technically (they do have the ability to load in blocks of code ahead of time to look for patterns though, but the code still needs to be loaded/parsed/emitted/executed one instruction at a time, even if it's being managed in blocks). They just emulate it a different way. It is more efficient to compile/execute code one instruction at a time than to interpret it one instruction at a time.
what NV said, plus interpreters are much easier to create than recompilers. Also, some hardware features cannot be emulated by recompilers properly / efficiently by design.
Pages: 1 2 3 4