Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't find what's holding me back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

razhem

Hello, I have a

Windows 7 32 bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.71Ghz
With 4 GB Ram (3 usable according to Windows 7)
An AMD Radeon HD 6700 series card

Looking at the usual specs, it seems I have more than enough juice to get some things going with dolphin. But playing something as humble as Megaman 9, speed drops to around 60% and my CPU usage goes ballistic and into the 100% area.

I've been fiddling with the graphics config and checked online for what people consider optimum for certain games and I still find the same roadblock. Could I get some help or an idea about what's holding me back and if I can solve it?

No, I haven't applied any overclocking neither to the processor nor the graphics card.

Thank you all for your help.
You have a very good GPU. It should be able to handle playing Dolphin in HD at 3x IR easily. I think you sort of answered your own question about what's holding you back. :p

(04-14-2012, 08:57 PM)razhem Wrote: [ -> ]But playing something as humble as Megaman 9, speed drops to around 60% and my CPU usage goes ballistic and into the 100% area.

Your CPU is the bottleneck for your system. The Athlon 64 X2 5200+ is okay for Dolphin, but just that. It probably won't get full-speed in a lot of games.
You could try to overclock your CPU - This can give a little speed up.

@Shonumi: Gratz to the moderator rank Cool
Athlon 64 X2 5200+ is over 6 years Old, its old fashioned

You need 64bit O/S to use full 4gb Ram
On the 32bit computers in my house they use all of their 4GB of RAM. Are you sure they can't, because my info says otherwise.

razhem

Thanks for all your replies. After thinking what I wrote I expected as much... Anyway, anyone can link me to a reliable overclocking guide so I can give that a try and so how it goes? As for the 4GB RAM, I'm as confused as you, I literally upgraded my RAM and GPU yesterday and my biggest surprise was 7 telling me only 3 of the 4GB are usable. Googling a bit read something about the other GB being reserved for other functions of the PC, but when I was only packing 2 it never said anything of the sort, so a bit dazed there.
(04-14-2012, 09:41 PM)razhem Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all your replies. After thinking what I wrote I expected as much... Anyway, anyone can link me to a reliable overclocking guide so I can give that a try and so how it goes? As for the 4GB RAM, I'm as confused as you, I literally upgraded my RAM and GPU yesterday and my biggest surprise was 7 telling me only 3 of the 4GB are usable. Googling a bit read something about the other GB being reserved for other functions of the PC, but when I was only packing 2 it never said anything of the sort, so a bit dazed there.

I used to have a Athlon 64 5200x they are bad at over-clocking specially with a Stock cooler

You need Windows 7 64bit to use 4GB Ram, also if your Graphics Card has 1GB of memory, it will reduce your memory limit to 1.5GB when playing Games.

if you had 4GB of system ram and a 1GB video card under a 32 bit operating system, each individual program could only use 3GB of that system ram (due to the video card using 1GB of address space) However there is something else most people are NOT aware of.
Under DirectX 9.0C (and lower) video card ram must be duplicated into system ram. That means if you're running on the highest settings with your new shiny 1GB video card - that 1GB of video memory must be duplicated leaving you with only 2GB left for your game.
After my own research I've discovered that a 32 bit OS can address 4GB, but that includes the graphics memory etc., so it isn't 4GB of RAM. If possible I'd recommend buying an upgrade licence to 64 bit windows 7, as you'll be able to use all your RAM, and the 64bit version of dolphin runs faster.
He posted once I'd clicked reply so I didn't see that. Sorry if it is all a duplicate of what he'd said.
64 bit can use up to 128GB of memory but who needs that right? Big Grin

razhem

Thank you for all your suggestions. Seems like aiming for a 64 bit OS may be the way to go then, so I'll keep thinking if I go that route.
Thanks.
Pages: 1 2