Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I overclock?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see that some people overclock their processor to 3.50 GHz, and I'm wondering if I should overclock mine. My processor is quad core, 3.20 GHz.
Would having any more speed than I already have actually be beneficial?
Can someone point me to an overclocking guide if there is one available? [tell me what section to look in]
Overclocking is one of the best ways to speed up emulation. However, it will lower the life of your processor, so if you are fine with the speed you have now, then you don't need to overclock. As far as guides go, it would be best for you to google "Your CPU overclocking" or "Your Motherboard overclocking" to get an idea of the limitations of your hardware. Just be aware that overclocking has the potential to break things if you are not careful with temperatures and voltages.
Overclocking will not necessarily lower the lifespan of the CPU. It can, especially if you are not careful. What dan are you using? What temps do you have without and overclock? What voltage are you running at? Try to find people with the same CPU and see what voltage they are running at when the clock speed is 3.5Ghz.
I highly recommend you overclock, it is the best way to speed up Dolphin outside of settings and a new computer.
Quote:Overclocking will not necessarily lower the lifespan of the CPU.

It will. That is an inescapable fact. However, that doesn't mean that you'll ever notice it. If a processor was going to last 20 years, and you reduce it to 15, you won't notice, as it would be obsolete, and therefore replaced, before it broke.